December 11, 2009

Tough Questions

Below are some of the toughest questions I have ever seen. I thank James and AEK for these. I hope I was able to really portray my truest self. Enjoy!


1. Whose the last person you've helped, but didn't have to?
I would say that the last person I didn't have to help but did is one of my teaching colleagues. They are constantly coming to me for help with computers, students, teaching ideas, etc. I love being one of the people they come to when they need help. It just makes you feel needed, and I think we all need that feeling from time to time.



More than being the go to person for school issues, I love being there for them when something personal comes up. I had one of my colleagues in my classroom last week to talk with me. She made it into the door and just broke down crying. She was crying so hard that she could not even tell me what was going on. I was just glad to be there to talk and help her through whatever was bothering her. It is times like this that tell me I am doing good in the world. 




2. Whose the last person you loved but didn't want to?
I don't know if I will say "love" but there was a definite crush... 



(Keep in mind that I have NEVER admitted to this before.)


It was my college roommate, Ben. It was our sophomore year in college. It was also the first year I had a roommate. Ben was just someone I instantly clicked with. We really became great friends. I don't really know what to say about him. Ben was just a lot of fun to hang out with. We shared the same circle of friends. We shared a lot of similarities (religious background, similar family stories, closeness to family, love of college basketball, friends, etc.). At the same time, I think it was the differences that made us great roommates and friends. 


I have to pause for a moment to say his mother loved me. I think she loved me because someone had to look after her baby. I actually had to teach my roommate how to do laundry. I was the one who took him to the emergency room 3 times the first year we were roommates. (Oh, those are some great stories...I will blog about that later.) 


Having Ben as a roommate was awesome. He helped to make my years at the university pretty incredible and fun. He remains an a great friend to this day. I was at his wedding, and now I am an "uncle" to his son.   




3. Whose the last person you hated, but couldn't help it?
I don't really "hate" anyone. It is not in my personality or in the way I was raised. Sorry to disappoint! 





4. What means most to you, but could do without?
Sadly, my cell phone. It doesn't really mean the most to me, but it something I live with at my side. Believe me when I say I could definitely live without my phone some days. I don't always like being so reachable at times. But, on the other hand, it is nice to be able to simply pick up the phone or text someone when I need to talk.



So what am I to do???




5. At the end of the day what can you do better, and will you try to?
As mentioned in some post before, I could definitely reach out more to my friends and family when I am not doing well. I have always been one to mask and hide my emotional issues, so I hardly ever really let those close to me know how I am feeling. 



I am working on being able to tell others and let others into my psyche. I am working to make my feelings more known and maybe a bit easier to read. There are those who have chewed me out for not reaching out to others. Yes, I have promised to work on it.  




6. Can you ignore want and acknowledge necessity?
First of all, WOW, what a question. 



This is something I think we all struggle with in our daily lives. For me, I have learned that I can overcome the "want" and acknowledge the "necessity." It is never easy to do that, but it is a work in progress. 


One of the best examples I can use is food. I have worked hard over the past two years to change my eating habits. I used to live to eat. I would eat what I would want and when I would want it. Being someone who has a family history of obesity, it became apparent that I could no longer live that way. 


My habits are changing. I am eating to live. I realized that food is there to sustain my life...not to impede it. I changed what and when I eat. I no longer eat the giant portions that I used have. I have become accustomed to ordering the smaller portions when eating out. I have learned to eat more of veggies and fruits instead of sugar-ridden foods. I have drastically cut out breads, which are my weakness. (One of my best friends is a national bread baking champion. We love bread.) 





7. What is messed up in your LIFE that you CAN change but never will?
I love to be in control! Is it messed up in my life? It depends on who you ask. I don't really know why I have always needed to be in control. It flows into all aspects of my life. I like things in my life just so. 



For example, when friends and I go anywhere I am the one who drives. (Yes, even if it's not in my car.) It is the reason I drive an SUV. It has enough room for me, whoever is traveling with me, and all of our stuff. 


Hey, I come at this need for control naturally. I am my mother's child. She is exactly the same way. Don't expect either of us to change this need. 




8. What is messed up in the WORLD that you CAN'T change but will try?
I have a real problem with people who have kids but have no interest in raising their own kids. These are the people who I feel should not ever be allowed to have kids. 



I see kids every day whose parents will never meet with me, who will never discipline their kids, who are afraid of their kids, who let their kids rule the house, etc. These parents (and I use the term loosely) are not doing anything to benefit their kids. 


Believe me when I say I try everyday to help these parents in guiding their children. I work hard to help these kids learn organization, responsibility, respect, etc. It is my hope that this will rub off on some of these parents.


The sad truth is that parents are usually so set in their ways that we cannot help them to become better parents. That does not mean I will not stop trying. 




9. Would you denounce your convictions to save the life of one person/millions?
I am not totally sure how to answer this question.



Would I kill for someone or of millions? I would definitely hope that I would never have to kill anyone. 


Would I go to jail if I new it would save the life of one or millions...most definitely. 


My convictions are part of the person I am today. I feel that denouncing my convictions could change the person I have become. 




10. Would you follow your convictions if it lead to the injustice of one person/millions?
Whew! Another tough way to look at it. 



I truly feel that my convictions in life have led me to become very accepting of many walks of life. I don't feel that my personal convictions really discriminate or would lead to any injustice of anyone or any group.


I know what I say, and I can't be 100% sure of my answer.  I can only answer based on my experiences in life. So, criticize it as you will. 




11. Is your life about giving or taking?

I truly believe that if you asked my friends, family, or colleagues, they would easily tell you that my life is about the giving. I am always more concerned about how others are doing more than myself. I will sacrifice everything I have if it will help someone else. That has always been my belief and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 





12. If you died tomorrow, what footprints have you left?

I feel that the footprints I will have left will be showing the world more compassion. I hope that I have taught others to be more accepting of those who have different religions, morals, beliefs, etc. This world is one giant hodge-podge and we must learn that everyone is different. I also hope that I have taught others to be giving of themselves, to help those around you, and to do things in life that will benefit your fellow man (or woman). 

3 comments:

  1. good answers! i'm glad no one's asked me questions as tough as those

    torchy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those. Sometime when I have more than a 5 minute block of time I plan to answer them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JC!

    Some really tough questions with some really honest answers!

    Don't worry, I'm a control freak too. And you're right, it does bleed into all aspects of your life. You just need to know how to make it work for you, that's all.

    Thanks for sharing these with us!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete