December 13, 2009

The Rewards of Teaching

Talking with a friend last night, I was reminded why I love being a teacher. Below is a letter that was written to me by the mother of a former student. It was written as part of my end of the year gift. 



I love to write things, it is a passion of mine and I love to express my feelings through words. I must confess that you have become a person I want to touch through my words. You have been so wonderful to me and my son that I don’t think you could ever understand the admiration I have for you. You really should be honored for the work you do. I have said many times that educators either have the “It” factor or they don’t, well my friend you have the “It” factor in an awesome way.  Education is the key to success, or so they say, but experience is what makes the difference between a smart man and a wise man. May you be wise first. May you be wise enough and humble enough for a child to approach you with questions about the moon, God, butterflies and calculus.


May you find serenity and tranquility in a world you may not always understand. May the pain you have known and the conflict you have experienced give you the strength to walk through life facing each new situation with courage and optimism. Always know that those you love, will always be there, even when you feel most alone. May you discover enough goodness in others to believe in a world of peace. May a kind word, a reassuring touch, and a warm smile be yours every day of your life, and may you give these gifts as well as receive them. Remember the sunshine when the Storm seems unending.


Teach love to those who hate, yet let that love embrace you as you go into the world. May the teachings of those you admire become part of you, so that you may call upon them. Always remember, whose lives you have touched and whose have touched yours are always a part of you, even if the encounters were less than you would have wished. It is the content of the encounter that is more important than the form. 


May you not become too concerned with material matters, but instead place immeasurable value on the goodness in your heart. Find time each day to see beauty and love in the world around. Realize that each person has limitless abilities, but each of us is different in our own way. What you feel you lack in the present may become one of your strengths in the future. May you see your future as one filled with promise and possibility. Learn to view everything as a worthwhile experience. May you find enough inner strength to determine your own worth by yourself, and not be dependent on another's judgment of your accomplishments. May “your” children learn who they are through your eyes and most importantly may you always feel loved every day of your life.


May God keep you safe and may you stay concerned with the youth around you. Remember you are a blessing to the children around you even if only a few people notice. I am one who is aware and if you ever need, want, or desire anything of me, I am only a phone call away.


Thank you for all you have done for [my son] and everything you have done for me as well. I will forever be grateful, and indebted to you.


I take a look at this letter every time I need a reminder of why I chose to teach. Even as I look to the future with my career change, I still am amazed by the effect a teacher can have on his/her students and their parents. 


(I know I have shown this video before, but it goes with today's post.)



2 comments:

  1. I am always in awe of a good teacher. They make a HUGE difference to so many kids. I wouldn't/couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JC!

    Wow, that is quite a letter! You must feel great after reading that! Apparently you're doing something right!

    Both my mother and my aunt are teachers and I know they touched a lot of students and families along the way.

    Hooray for great teachers!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete