My dad and aunt have asked me to write up a list of things I want for Christmas. Honestly, I feel like a little kids having to do this. As I constantly tell them, I don't really need or want for much. I mean, YES, I would like for them to purchase my next vehicle for me, or maybe a house. But, the little things I don't really need or want. I lead a very comfortable life.
As Socrates once said "He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature."
I might be so bold in the future and actually post my Christmas list. However, I do want to share this last thing I wrote on my list...
I want my family to visit me on Christmas Eve and spend the night so we can celebrate Christmas at my house.
Sounds pretty simple...maybe even a bit self-centered. Perhaps it is, but I have my reasons. Let me explain...
First, ever since I left my Dad's house for college (13 years ago), I have always been summoned home to celebrate Christmas with the family. I happily go, especially now that I have so many nieces and nephews to spoil. We always go to my aunt's home for this part of the family get-together. However, as far as my dad, brother, and sister are concerned, I spend the night at Dad's house.
Another reason I want my dad, brother, and sister to come to my house is two-fold: (1) I have my house decorated for the season, and (2) I will have a bed to sleep on.
I am not joking when I mention the bed. After I moved out of my dad's home for college, my room was converted into a storage/work room. I often spent my visits at Dad's on the couch at night. Not the most comfortable place to reside, but it worked. Now my sister has moved back in with my dad and brother. The work room has been converted back into a bedroom for her. Now, I really have no where to sleep except on that couch. The couch that they have now does not lend itself to sleeping across it.
As for the holiday decorations, my Dad and brother no longer put up a Christmas tree. They have not done so for years! I was always the one who took care of that. So, without me there, no one ever took the time to put it up or take it down. They just choose not to have them. I have always found it to be a bit sad not having presents under the tree anymore. It probably explains why I go to such pains putting up multiple trees. I just need to fill that holiday spirit with the decorations out.
Another reason I want my family to visit me here is so that they can see the house and where I live. My brother has not been to visit me up here in...well...never. I am not joking. I cannot remember one single time he came up here to visit me. He didn't even come to either of my college graduations. He did not come help me move when asked. My sister is the same way. It is sad that they don't know anything about me anymore. I love them, but we are all so different. They simply take no interest in anyone but themselves. The only time I ever get a call from either of them is when they need something.
I want them to come see the house I have before I no longer have it. As many of you know, I have applied for a new job, one that will take me out of this area of the state. I have not gotten the job yet, but I am now at a point in my life where I can see myself leaving this area. So, it stands to reason, I would like for them all to know where I have been for the past 13 years. I would also like some of my friends to meet my family, since they are the ones who hear me talk about them so much.
Since this may just be my last Christmas here, I don't think it would be an unreasonable request. However, I don't expect it to happen, but I can hope...right?
(Not my house, but I like it!)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Something hilarious to share.
As you know, I am a middle school teacher. This year I find myself teaching science and ancient cultures (social studies). It has been an adjustment, but I am learning to love it.
This past week my students and I have been discussing ancient Greek philosophers (Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, the Sophists). As part of this discussion we talk about how these philosophers are relevant to our daily lives. You can imagine that most 6th graders would think that the Greek philosophers have nothing to do with our lives. Oh, I love have naive these kids are at times, but they are learning.
I wanted to show the students some of the quotes of the philosopher I refer to as "The Man in Greek Philosophy"...Socrates. I showed them a quote, and then asked them to relate it to their lives today. There were some great ones that talk about acting the way you want to be seen in society (I threw those in on purpose.). I love the ones that encourage you to constantly explore the world around you. If you would like to see a variety of Socrates' quotes, visit this site.
The quote that got the most reaction from my students is
My advice to you is to get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher.
My students thought about it for a second, then there was this eruption of laughter and every student turned to look at me. Each had the biggest dumb grin on their faces. Of course, the hands begin to fly in the air to ask a question. I just smile, call on one student, and brace for impact. "So, does that mean you are a philosopher?"
I tell my students that I choose not to get married, so I must be a philosopher. I said I am constantly thinking about life. I also went on to say "Look out, all this thinking can be dangerous. I am constantly thinking of ways to torture my students."
You have got to love these kids...no matter how much they drive you crazy some days.


Our families means a lot, that's so easy to forget. It's easy to take everything and everyone for granted. However at Christmas we're reminded, it's a good time for personal reflections and have the perspectives back.
ReplyDeleteLove
Daniel
I'd definitely come to your house!!! The space, trees, and bed, you can't go wrong!
ReplyDeleteIn my aunt's extended family part of the tradition is the person with the new house has to host a holiday to break it in.
I'm sure it'd be really special to have everyone at your place together! I'd definitely say that's what you'd want and push for it!
My mother is going to spend the holidays with us (me) for the first time since ... wow ... I can't even remember ... maybe since before I went to college... it should be interesting
ReplyDeleteand I studied philosophy in college - I wish it had been a double major instead of a minor but I'm not out of time yet! Plato's Dialogs on Friendship are a personal favorite
Well, I spent Christmas last year by myself. But I'm going to spend it with a friend's family this Christmas. I've never spent Christmas with my family since I moved away to a different country. But I got myself a present this year! :) I made a loan to an entrepreneur through Kiva.org! I am very happy - and I got my friends to buy me more credits so I can loan more entrepreneurs on the website as my Xmas present!
ReplyDelete