Today, as I was picking up my students from their lunch period, several of the girls came running up to tell me something that was "life-and-death" important.
Let me stop for a second and just say that I have taught my students that not every comment they are thinking is always appropriate in class at the time. I am constantly asking my students if their question is "life-or-death" important or "is it appropriate?" If I didn't get them to learn when their comments and questions are appropriate, I might never get through an entire lesson. They are middle schoolers! They have a question or comment for EVERYTHING! Those of you who know me or have read this blog know that I love my kids...even their off-the-wall questions.
Okay, back to the story.
I stop in my tracks to see what all the commotion is about. They stopped to tell me that two of my students are now boyfriend and girlfriend. I will call them Logan and Rachel for anonymity sake. Of course, being the uber-sarcastic teacher that I am, I have to give the new "couple" a hard time. When each of them would see me coming for them, they would look the other way and refuse to talk to me. Rachel was the worst. She hid behind her best friend because she knew I was told. I loved it, and so did they. These kids love the attention. I smile just thinking about how innocent all these 6th grade "relationships" go. Furthermore, I am interested to see if they will make it to the holiday break in two weeks. Come on...it's 6th grade middle school. I am usually impressed if they make it through the day.
What I loved about the pairing of Rachel and Logan is the fact that they are an "interracial" couple. That's right! Rachel is white and Logan is black. Logan has most of his hair shaved off...cut very short. Rachel is this blonde hair, blue eyed little princess. It really is so innocent. The entire team was buzzing about this new development of the two of them.
I love how this generation tends to see beyond the boundaries that were never crossed in previous generations. There is a sense of "what's the big deal" with this age. I cannot think of any incident in the past 5 or 6 years where there has ever been a derogatory comment made about someone's race, religion, economic status. I know that it may not be the norm in some places. I suppose my school is unique in that we have every possible type of student. We are the only middle school in our system. (Don't be fooled, we have 1200 or more of them running through two floors and 8 hallways. It's a massive school.) Being the only middle school, there is no separation by the zoning of a school system. Everyone is on equal ground here. I believe it allows our kids to learn more about other races, religions, cultures, socio-economic statuses, etc.
It gives me great hope for the future of this world. Someday we just might have a country/world where there is no discrimination, no hate, etc.
I know I am dreaming of an Utopian society, but I can dream...right?
Hope everyone is doing well. Thank goodness I will make it to Friday!
Have a great weekend.
- JC



the youth of today amazes me too. Try to be open minded. Don't always make it .. but some issues just have never bother me ... that is one of them ... have a half race althrew my family ... just isnt a issue ...
ReplyDeleteThanks for such an encouraging story. I'm glad to see that today's youth are becoming blind to the barriers that have held other generations back. It speaks a great deal of hope for the future.
ReplyDeleteIt reminds me of one of my uncles. He always seemed to be the most intolerant person (telling terrible racist jokes and such) until his son married a woman from Ecuador and an adopted African American granddaughter. He's still as conservative of ever, but attacks anyone who shows the slightest touch of racism.