December 27, 2009

Making Me Feel Old

When I tell you I cannot go anywhere in town without seeing someone I know, I am not lying. 


This afternoon I went into Best Buy to take a look at their sales on DVD and Blu Ray. I racked up on a selection of both. I found some really awesome DVD for only $3.49 each. I also hot Phantom of the Opera on Blu Ray. I have never seen the movie, and with Blu Ray all I can say is WOW! 


Anyway, back to the story. As I pulled into the parking lot at Best Buy, I stop to let a few people cross the way. Wouldn't you know it, one of my current students is staring right back at me just waving. It was funny because I knew he was checking to make sure it was really me in the car. These kids seriously think I have no life outside of school, so anytime I am out on the town these kids looked totally confused. 


While I was in Best Buy I ran into a friend from college that I had not seen in about 7 years. Last time I saw her, she had a one year old. Now her son is 8...almost 9. Cute kid. We sat and talked in the middle of Best Buy for a good 45 minutes. It was nice just to catch up on everything we had missed since we last saw each other. 


On the way home I stopped off to get a bite to eat. (Consequently, I hate fast food, but sometimes it happens.) I pulled into the drive thru, which is a face to face order...no microphones and faceless speakers. As I ordered I was paying no attention to who was at the window. As I was given the total and told to pull to the next window the young man at the window says "Thanks Mr. C." It took me a second and I freaked out for a second. How did this kid know who I was. I look at the cashier and instantly know who this is. 


It is Wes, one of my very first students. Wes was in my math class during my first full year of teaching. I remember him well. Red hair, lots of freckles, and the consummate ladies man. He had more girlfriends that year than Hugh Hefner. He was a lot of fun to have in class. That year's group was really fantastic, and kids like Wes were the ones who made it fantastic.


I also remember Wes' mother. She was also a wonderful room-mother. It was also parents like her that made the year so wonderful. I distinctly remember the gift she gave each of Wes' teachers...she had hand-made each of us a giant heart-shaped cheesecake (Valentine's day) covered in hardened chocolate. Let me tell you, it was one of the best cheesecakes I had even had. You better believe I at part of it. This was before my monumental weight loss. Now I would have to take a few bites then give it away. But I digress...


I felt rather guilty today because I did not stop to talk with Wes. However, I did send him an email when I got home this afternoon to apologize for acting like a forgetful old man. I wanted him to know I DID remember who he was. Wes is actually one of the students I will sometimes ask about when I speak with some of my other former students. Just a good kid who I keep a check on from time to time. Yes, I keep check on my students through the years...WATCH OUT!


Anyway, I realize now that Wes is only one more year away from graduation. All my "babies" are now juniors and will soon be seniors. It won't be long before they will be going off to college...forging the future of our society...having kids (hopefully in a number of years from now)...making me feel older! 


I love it! This is a part of being the teacher that I will miss. 



Someday I might just be that old man who ties thousands of balloons to his house to move it away. Okay, I saw Up today and couldn't resist throwing in a pic of it. It was a great movie and all families should see it. 

3 comments:

  1. I loved UP! Wept, cheered … wept again. Great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's weird when you're reminded about the years passing by. Still, we're not going older, it's just THEM!! Yeah right.

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok we are older , but not old yet man ... lol .... I am glad you have had the ability to mold and set forth some of the future generations. But you will still make your mark in education in your new job. I just wishing for the best for you. No matter what happens .... Love Lee

    ReplyDelete