When I was in 8th grade I had the best mathematics teacher known to man. While I will not give out her name, I will say that it is because of her that I decided to be a math teacher. She just made learning fun. The absolute coolest thing she ever did for all her students was to give out her home phone number on the first day of school. She told us that if we ever had a question about the homework we were to use the number and call her.
I admit that I used the number on several occassions throughout that year. She even freaked me out at times when she would leave help on her answering maching for the exact problem I was calling about. Was she psychic??? Sometimes it felt life she was, but now that I am a teacher I understand she had the experience to back it up.
Jump to several years later to when I became a middle school math teacher. From the first year I taught I have always given my students my phone number. I tell them from day one that it is to be used if they have homework help or if they are in a situation where they need help in general. I tell my students that I do not accept "I didn't understand the problems" as a reason for not completing your assignment. All I ask is that you attempt the problems. I do not demand that you always get them all correct. How else will you learn if you don't make the mistakes. But, just not trying the problems...unacceptable.
You may be asking yourself if my students will ever use the phone number. The answer is a resounding YES! The first couple of weeks it may only be one or two students who will be my initiates for the team. They begin to spead the word that they had called Mr. Teacher for help. Other students will follow suit. At some point, I had to put a time limit on when I could be called. Otherwise I may have students calling me at any hour of the night. (Shouldn't they be in bed anyway?!)
Here is the funny part about all of this...I have former students who will call and ask me for help with their mathematics in the higher grades. I also get emails from them and their parents to keep checking in over the years and sometimes to request for help. Heck, I even tutor some of my former students as they have moved into high school.
Some teachers would be annoyed by the fact that they don't get any downtime. I honestly love when my former students make it a point to come back and visit (even if it is for help in their homework). It helps me to know that I have earned their trust and respect.
I actually just got off the phone with one of my former students. I remember when he was in 6th grade. What I remember most is his insecurity and fear of doing math. Now, when I get calls to help him out, I hear this confidence in his voice. He knows he can do the math if he will just take the time to talk it out. It makes this teacher very proud of him.
Hey, it's the little things in life that make the biggest differences.
Just needed to share that today.
Everything is going pretty good on my end of the world. This week has had its ups and downs, hospital runs, and some peace and quiet.
I have also had the chance to talk with some pretty remarkable people out there in the blogging world. (You all know who you are.) I am astounded and dumbfounded by the things I have learned about them, and in turn about myself. I hope we can all continue to talk and learn. You all know where to find me.
Well, I am off of here to go write a quiz for tomorrow's classes. The best part about tomorrow...IT'S FRIDAY! Look out weekend.
- JC

wow.... coolest.teacher.ever.
ReplyDeleteI remember 3 teachers in particular who had an incredible impact on me ... my 2nd/6th grade teacher (had her twice), my AP US History teacher and my AP World History teacher - I still have some of the papers I wrote for those classes all those years ago... what a noble profession you have chosen!
Thanks Joe , I think it remarkable that some teachers still take the time like you do. Believe me I know teaching doesn't pay well in my area. But we don't have many teachers like you left anymore here. Here they just do what they have to and I am talking as little as possible. We do still have a couple but not many left. Not like when I was young. Just want to say thanks. I know some of it is society and parents pushing their kids off on teachers here. I don't hold them entirely accountable. So many people treat there kids as throw away objects . It really pleases me to see people like you that go above and beyond. Take care love Just
ReplyDeleteWow. Your students are lucky to have such a dedicated teacher who loves his job :)
ReplyDeleteMy favorite teachers in the past were almost always math teachers, in particular my Algebra 1/Geometry teacher. I still have the quadratic formula memorized because of her!
That's great. :-)
ReplyDeleteI actually remember the few teachers that truly had an impact on my life... one of them was my 5th grade teacher... my senior year of college I paid a surprise visit to her classroom, and when the office admin announced that I was there (by name) she *shrieked* and told me to come down. I felt special. It's cool that you make time for those students... wait until they graduate from college. One of them will come find you at some point, hopefully. :-)
Finding teachers that really care for their kids seems to be more difficult than I could have ever imagined. I know many teachers who need to get out while they still can. They are in it for the wrong reasons. I know some of them who even claim that they do not like kids. Why would you choose to teach if you don't like kids? That's insane!
ReplyDeleteI should have also mentioned my high school math teacher (I had the same one all throughout high school. She taught it all!) Mrs. L showed great love and care for me. She was someone I could go to when I was having problems. In my senior yearbook, she wrote "You better come back and see me. You are part mine." I have never forgotten that. She taught me that having genuine care and concern for your students is the greatest lesson you can teach the kids.
What's even funnier is that I actually chewed out my 8th grade Algebra teacher when she told me she was retiring. I got mad at her and told her she had to stay long enough to teach my sister. She just smiled and hugged me...then retired anyway! Who could blame her?
Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts and memories of your teachers. Sometimes I just get sentimental about my profession. LOL!
You are without a doubt a great teacher and a pretty inspirational one at that, JC.
ReplyDeleteI think my best teachers were Mr. P for being very open about things, especially life. He was a first year teacher when I had him. He was caring, yet hard. He drilled us with vocabulary and I know my vocabulary really grew that year.
ReplyDeleteMr. B was great for being so open, too. He was also one who gave out his phone number. He was in your corner 110%.
My 9th grade Spanish 1 teacher was also great. It was such a no pressure class- redos, lots of participation, but also a structure that I'd like to mimic if I teach Spanish.
My AP English 11 teacher was great too. She was so motherly. Constantly teaching us things I'd never heard about before like diction. Taught me to analyze books. I really learned to write essays with details in her class.
My 8th grade science teacher was so hands on and had a million activities- I learned a ton. Favorite science class ever.
My elementary years were pretty good. I had some bad experiences in elementary, but overall, no complaints. I really have been blessed to have great teachers- EXCEPT IN MATH.
:) Brought tears to my eyes. Good teachers can truly make a difference.
ReplyDelete