Insomnia kicked in this evening, so I have been awake since 3 AM. Who knows why? I certainly have no idea. Oh well...life goes on.
Since I was awake, I decided to see what movies were playing. I came across a movie called "Into the Wild." The trailer is below:
The movie was written and directed by Sean Penn. You may not like or always agree with the man, but you cannot deny the awesomeness of his recent works.
"Into the Wild" is based on the life of Christopher McCandless (played by Emile Hirsch), a 1990 graduate of Emory University. After graduating, McCandless gave his entire savings to Oxfam and set out on a trek for the wilderness of Alaska. What ensued was an adventure that took his across the United States, into Mexico, and ultimately to Alaska. The people he meets along the way are a incredibly diverse cast of characters whose lives are touched by McCandless' story.
I don't want to give too much away about the movie. I will say that it is an emotional roller coaster of an adventure. I could not help but be sucked into this movie and the life of Chris. I found myself wanting to reach out and help him.
On of the highlights of this movie was the friendship between McCandless and "Ronald Franz," played by the Academy Award nominee Hal Holbrook. It becomes one of a grandson to a grandfather.
Okay, I will not go any further except to say SEE THIS MOVIE!
If anyone else has seen it, I want to hear your opinion of the movie.
Later!
I'm not sure, but it maybe looks a bit too American for me, a humble Brit.
ReplyDeleteI do quite like cross generational friendship stories though.
It is actually in my Netflix queque folder. I will let you know as soon as I watch it.
ReplyDeleteyea I saw it - pretty incredible - I also saw a documentary or something where Sean Penn and his son trekked up to "the bus" - really interesting - I will have to think where I saw that and find it for you
ReplyDelete