I went back to my classroom today to find that everything looked to be in one piece. Nothing was broken or out of place. The substitute left me notes saying that the kids were very well behaved. I was shocked, and pleasantly surprised. I thanked my kids for doing so well, and I told them how proud I was that they could handle my absence. It was a good day at the school.
I attended a school board meeting tonight that lasted for hours. Nothing surprising there...they have a tendency to run loooooooooong. I never know what to expect at these board meetings. Sometimes they are just boring, run of the mill, put you to sleep kind of meetings. However, there are times when it gets very heated and exciting. Tonight was no exception. The school board was very heated, and I just got to sit back and enjoy the show. In the interest of keeping this as anonymous as I can, I will just say that there were some very ticked off people in the room. I am proud to say, however, that all of this heated debate was over an issue that needed to be addressed. I believe that the school board is doing what they need to do to insure that our students continue to enjoy the great successes in our school system.
I was so inspired by all of this that I decided to write letters to the director of schools and the school board members. I wanted to thank them for the work that they do and to let them know that I fully support their efforts to fix our schools. It is very out of character for me to do such a thing, but my emotions were running high tonight.
In other topics...
I am becoming increasingly concerned by the number of blogs I am reading. Over the past few days and weeks, it seems that more and more people are getting depressed, opressed, or scared about something in their lives. I find that sometimes I feel like I need to be there for them. I don't know what it is. Maybe it is some parental instinct kicking in. Perhaps it is just the loyal friend in me. Either way, I find that I am genuinely concerned for them. Is there anything wrong with that?
I am officially moving on Saturday. The family confirmed tonight that they will be coming in on Saturday morning to help me move the large items to the house. I am excited. Since I was 18 I have lived in apartments or dorm rooms. It will feel strange to have an entire house to myself. The amount of space is mind-boggling. I can't wait!
My fall break begins next week. It will give me time to unpack my house. I don't have to be so stressed out about it...and I am not. Also, during fall break, I am going to see Robin Williams. His show is called Weapons of Self Destruction. The best part...I have got second row seats! Williams is insanely funny, and I am excited to see his show. Below is a sampling of previous shows he has done. The man is a comedic genius.
Glad to hear the kids were behaving!!!
ReplyDeleteI am trying to keep my head up, even though it is hard!
I don't think there is anything wrong with being genuinely concerned for other individuals. Obviously, each of us only has so much time available, but you seem to have things pretty well balanced.
ReplyDeleteThat you care shows good character, never apologise for having a big heart.
ReplyDeleteOn the whole Robin Williams thing, I too am a fan. I tell you though, what never ceases to amaze me about the man, is his range. One second he can be playing the serious of villain, the next he is making you laugh..., know what I mean?
Octavius.