March 16, 2010

What is Passion?

My friend, Chris, wrote a posting tonight about passion. It really got me thinking about what my passions are in life.

First off, Merriam-Webster defines passion as the following:

  1. intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction
  2. a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept
The more thought I put into this, the more I realize how clear mine are in this life. So here we go. 

Working with Children
Whether it is teaching or working one-on-one with a child, my greatest passion in life is my work with students. I cannot tell you the rewards I feel through my work as a teacher. I get to see the point in life when a student finally grasps a concept being taught to them, and then watching that student begin to believe in themselves. I get to teach students about acceptance of others, respect, kindness, love, etc. I get to affect the future of our world through my work with my students. 

Today is a prime example of the non-material rewards I receive as a teacher and mentor. We took our students to the track and football field during the last 20 minutes of school today. (The purpose was to get them outside to run off some energy...they are wild!) While there, another hallway of students came out to the field.  This other hall is where the majority of my students from last year are located. There was a mad rush to come up, hug me, talk to me, just hang out with their "old" teacher. It is simple things like this that make all the difference. When I question why I teach, I look to these moments and it is clear! 


Community Involvement and Volunteering
I believe that it is our responsibility to give back to our society. I do that in two ways: (1) through my involvement in community organizations and (2) through my volunteer work. 

I bide my spare time working with some of the best youth organizations in our great state and country. I now sit on three state committees in these organizations. I am helping to shape the future of the organizations and those touched by their reach. 

I also believe that volunteering our time helps keep us humble. First, I regularly donate blood to the American Red Cross. I know there are those who need it more than I need my extra 2 pints. I am helping to save lives. I also volunteer at our local soup kitchen to feed the homeless. 


Theatre and the Performing Arts
I have a passion for the performing arts. Specifically, I am most passionate about the theatre. I don't know what it is, but I lose myself when I am witnessing an awesome play or musical. I put myself in the middle of the story, the plot, the characters, etc. It is my release from all the stresses that pile up in this world. 


Traveling
I have this insatiable thirst to see the world. I want to learn about all the cultures of the world. I firmly believe in acceptance and appreciation of all citizens of this world. The best way to accept and appreciate everyone is to learn more about them. Give me a plane ticket and a suitcase, and I am on my way. 



So there is a start of a list. There are others, but I think I will stop for now. 

In his blog, Chris was talking about how he has interests in so many different areas of life, but he did not feel passion for any of them. I think Chris has passion for each of the areas he mentioned in his blog. I hope he can rediscover the passion in each of them. Don't worry, Chris, you will find it! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks JC. I loved reading about your passions. It really is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete