Part two of this story had me rolling on the floor.
Near the end of their conversation, K told me that there was a change in the conversation. She said that E & G were gearing up to ask about my personal life. Evidently, I mentioned my weekend of seeing Spring Awakening during an interview question. (The question during the interview was how do I deal with stress. I mentioned hiking, movies, theatre, etc. Hey, they asked!) The discussion continued to was I married, dating anyone, or whatever. Then, E & G began to ask a question, but they couldn't seem to produce the words to ask. Finally, one of them asked K if I could get legally married in our state...
K, being the ever witty one just smiled and said YES & NO.
At this point in the story, I was laughing so hard I could have peed my pants. I couldn't believe that the question was so difficult for them to ask. I loved the legal marriage question being posed. Very insightful and tactful I thought.
So here's the deal...I have spent the past three years trying to finally discover who I am. It has been a long road to get where I am as of today. While I know that I have a long way to go, I am finally proud of who I have become. (Those of you who know me, personally, know that I have never been a self-assured person. Times, they are a-changin'!)
How do I know I have come a long way from where I was three years ago? It's simple...I had no fear when K was telling me I had been outed to E & G. If anything, there was a sense of relief. This revelation to E & G does not, in any way, change who I am in this world. I am still the same obsessive-compulsive, ADHD, caring, and driven individual. I am the one who works to take care and to serve others before himself.
I guess where I wanted to go with this post is that any fear I have had in the past years seems to be slowly fading away. I am smiling as I write this because I am finally beginning to believe it.
Thanks to all of you for you love and support over the past few years. Some of you have been here through thick and thin. You have helped me realize that I am exactly who I was meant to be. I will never be able to repay all the talks, words or support, and sheer kindness you have given me.
I hope that I will be able to return the support to someone else in need in the future.
PAY IT FORWARD!
I love this video.
It is Cyndi Lauper singing her hit "True Colors"
from As the World Turns

That's awesome. :-)
ReplyDeleteActually, at my company, you can be fired for asking that question during an interview. We disallow discrimination based on orientation, gender expression, identity, as well as the usual race, ethnicity, etc.
We added genetics recently as well. ;-)
In a similar vein, I added "Member, , GLBT Diversity Network" to my resume. I'm wondering when something will happen because of that. ;-)