November 1, 2009

What to Call This Post??? No idea!


Today has been a pretty rough day, I think.

I have tried to get work done several times today, but all I have felt like doing is sleeping. So, I have slept much of the day away. Now it is almost 7 PM, and I don't have anything prepared for my classes this week. As soon as I am done here I will be on to doing that I suppose.

I have been following Lonely Boy's blog for the past little bit. Over the past week he had threatened to end his life. I found myself sending comments and emails to him trying to help him out. He later posted a message thanking everyone for their support, but then he went a bit further. He said that what he really needed was a friendship that was tangible. At the time I told him I understood where he was coming from with the statement, and I did not ponder anymore on that.




Well, today it has really hit me. What he was asking for was someone he could reach out to personally. I completely understand and identify with that. I have been so extremely blessed to find a number of people on here to talk with, and I consider some of them to be more of a friend than a passing acquaintance in the blog world. However, I think I too am missing that tangible portion of friendship.



This is going to sound sappy, but I am going to go there anyway. The one thing I need more than anything is to hug and be hugged in return. When I was a kid, it was the comfort and safety of lying on my grandmother's lap as she ran her fingernails through my hair. Through my teenage and collegiate years I had tons of friends who would always hug each other. Yes, we were huggers. Not ashamed to say it.

Hugging is just a simple act of letting someone know you care about them. There is a sense of safety in a hug. There is that sense of being loved and appreciated in a hug. A simple hug will bring a smile to someone's face. It's powers cannot be denied.



That is the part of being alone that I hate more than anything...that tactile part of a relationship. Just hugging, holding someone's hand, or just wrapped in someone's arms as you sit watching a movie at home. It is just the little things I am missing today.

I hit the breaking point today. I was just pacing the floors...back and forth, back and forth. I finally had to put on some music on my home office computer, turn off all the lights, and then I hit the floor. I just balled up as I sat on the floor. My heart was hurting in a way it has not in a very long time. I just had to sit there, rocking away, listening to the words of the songs I put on. I will admit to you that the songs were contemporary Christian songs that typically give me chills and help me when I need it. I was crying out for help. The sad part of this is that I felt the need to physically cry, but I could not shed more than a tear. That more than anything is bothering me. What can't I cry when I need it? Ahhhh!




For those of you that will read this and worry, I want you to know that I am doing okay. I am not going to say that I am feeling 100% better, but I am also not rocking on the floor.

I have decided that I just need to get out of this house this week and find some support. A friend of mine has been inviting me to a weekly support group for LGBT college students and young adults. I have resisted going for so long now. I think I just need to get out there and meet people who can identify with me. I also need to let my friends here know what is going on with me. I need them to understand I need them right now.




Not quite sure where I wanted to go with this email tonight. Just wanted to unload a little.

I promise to be more upbeat in the future postings. I swear I am usually an optimist.

Also, pardon all the pictures. Just wanted to add them for effect, I guess.

I hope everyone is doing well and has a great week.
- JC


8 comments:

  1. J.C. ... know I am not worry about you .in fact this post makes me happy .. I think you are taking the right step. We all need to be love and have the tangible part of it too . There is nothing wrong with this ... we are human ... I want nothing more than you to be happy this is a need not a want. ... I am thrill you are going to take this step .... not everyone has this option ... I hope you take advantage of it too. It will be hard may take a couple of times... but you are strong. I wish I was closer I would just give you a hug ... with nothing more attached to it... I to am taking strides in making this part of my life come to full circle too in been a while...You deserve this ... so don't be sorry about it .. Keep your head high ... pulling for and wishing you Luck and Peace Love Just ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have felt that same way! So many guys in the blog world I feel I can relate to and I'm sure I'd be great friends with in real life, like yourself, and that hug would be more than welcome!

    I know this may sound funny, but I guess a hug from someone who truly understands you is different than someone who doesn't? A parent, like my dad or mom can give me a hug when I'm down, and it may feel good, but a hug from someone who truly understands you, and the issues you are facing/feeling is truly different. The people you can share everything with are true friends and open up to issues like that :).

    When I met James for lunch yesterday it felt good to hug someone who I've shared a lot with, and the hug did feel different, and in a good way.

    I have been there where I have felt that I just needed to cry and can't. It is so frustrating!

    Again, in regards to your last post about where you are and just getting out it sounds like you know what you need to do, and that is just get out there and go like with your friend to the LGBT meetings, and just getting out there. I know... it's probably fear, but I'm sure you'll do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should totally join the LGBT group. I finally got the courage to join the LGBT group at the university in September, and it was quite empowering (?) and comforting. It's so cool to be able to be with others who understand, or even experience first-hand, challenges that are unique to sexual minorities.

    You mentioned that you listen to Christian contemporary music. Do you have any favorite bands?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BK -

    I tend to listen to some of the following artists:

    - March Schultz
    - Nicole C Mullen
    - The Crabb Family
    - Jeremy Camp
    - Chris Tomlin
    - Mercy Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate it when people feel bad for ranting - I still don't understand why would people blog for their readers instead of for themselves. I for one, blog for myself and not for my readers - I don't really give a damn about what they want to read. It's what I want to write, what I want to get across and what I want to get out of my own writing that gives me the sense of satisfaction at the end of the day. Afterall, if I want to be somebody I am not for others, then I might as well not blog and just live my life for everyone around me.

    I am lucky in the sense that I still get a lot of hugs from my co-workers, heck even my boss the professor gives me a hug whenever I said I am not in a good mood. Otherwise, its my housemates, or I have a few friends I can call and say, "lets do something stupid tonight". I've done Free Hugs before - one night after being too bored a few friends and I decided to give Free Hugs. It was one of the crazy experiences I'll never forget.

    I am glad you ranted about this, JC. It's fair that you vent and rant and wallow in your own self-pity because this allows you to be real, to be yourself and to understand and acknowledge your feelings. What is important to you, and what you crave for in your life. At the end of it, after wallowing in your own self-pity (which is a good thing) its also important for you to detach yourself and tell yourself, "alright, I've got that all out" and then work out, based on what you have figured out in your wallowing, prioritise your life so that you are heading the right direction. Otherwise, wallowing forever will not get you anywhere. :)

    Much love. A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am here for you if you would but just turn on your msn.

    I don't know how good of company I will be, but I will be here.

    Octavius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Something about your post really hit home with me. I have been in Lonely Boys postion before. I have hit the low that he has before. I think it got better i am not really sure.

    Something changed to stop me feeling that way and it was either the fact that i found those connections that i craved or i forced myself to stop wanting them and they came to me naturally.

    I don't know what advice i can give you because i really don't know what in me changed for me.

    You will find that 'hug' you require out there somewere be it a friend or someone special. It is out there for everyone, i have to believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contact, tactile stimulation, even if it's just a hug, is an integral need of humans. We need it to function and grow up if we don't want to be neurotic. As children, we need it or we die.

    How could anyone in your situation NOT feel as you do? That's my question. I'm glad you were able to so carefully articulate your feelings, they are mine almost all the time. I am sorry you're going through this; I wish more than anything you didn't have to, that you already had someone to hold and hug you. I'm glad you're gonna make efforts to reach out, though, can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete