I guess in the haste of writing my last posting I mentioned my Travel Tree. Evidently I forgot to explain what it was. Simply put, the Travel Tree has a collection of ornaments from my travels. I had thought about having my friends pick up ornaments when they travel, but then it wouldn't be as personal or exclusively mine. Each ornament helps me hold on to certain memories from each trip. (I know it is a bit corny and somewhat sappy, but that's me in a nutshell.)
This is a picture of the tree in progress. I decided to put it in the center of my dining room. Since I only recently moved into this house, I don't have a dining room table yet. Plus, this placement allows everyone to view both of my trees from the living room and those passing by my house. Like I said, it was a work in progress at the point of this picture. See below for some of the ornaments on my Travel Tree...

This is from my travels to a wedding in St. John, US Virgin Islands, back in 2006. It is hand-painted and inside the glass ball is some sand and small shells from the island. As I said, one of my best friends got married on the beaches of St. John. I equate St. John to being Heaven on Earth. Such peace and unmatched beauty.

This ornament is from the White House collection that I picked up during one of my trips to DC.

This ornament came from the Biltmore Estate, in Asheville, NC. It is supposed to be a replica of the ornaments used by the Vanderbilt family in 1895. I got this one while touring the house one night during the Candlelight Tours. What an incredible experience to see the house lit by candlelight and all the fireplaces lit. Plus there were instrumentalists and vocalists throughout the house playing/singing holiday music. If you ever get the chance to take the Candlelight Tour, you will not be sorry.

This is another ornament from the Biltmore Estate. We go about once each year. It truly is a sight to behold.

This ornament I picked up in 2002 while visiting New York City. I believe it speaks for itself. If I haven't told you about my experience at Ground Zero during this trip just ask. It left us all in tears.

I picked up this ornament while visiting London in 2006. I bought it at a museum shop at the Tower of London. It is the crest of the Royal Family. I loved London and cannot wait to get back there for a visit. There are so many memories from this trip. We took 37 high schoolers to England, France, Monaco, and Italy for 3 weeks. My favorite memory from this trip is visiting the Vatican. There is nothing like it. Made me want to be a Catholic...

This ornament is from Harvard University, in Cambridge, Mass. I was there back in 2004 attending the Intercollegiate Men's Choruses national conference. I was the assistant to the Choral Director of our university at the time. I held that position during my graduate work. Truly two of the best years of my life. Everyday was filled with music (men's chorus, women's chorus, The Chorale, etc.), and believe me when I say it was truly some of the best music ever sung by this awesome group. Best memory from this trip was hearing Miami University (Ohio) Men's Glee Club perform a song titled Ramkali. It was adapted for voices by their director who spent a year in India learning the musical heritage. (See the end of this page for a performance of it. It is incredible.)

I got this ornament during a trip to Philadelphia, PA. I was attending the National Middle School Association's annual conference. I actually picked up two of these. I have one and my mother has the other one. Yep, I am a sap. The best memory from this trip was when one of our principals took us all (7 of us) to go see "Menopause, the Musical." I laughed so hard I thought would pee my pants. My cheeks hurt after that show from laughing so hard.

This ornament is from Charleston, SC. We visited Charleston this past summer. It is steeped in history and beauty. I most enjoyed taking the carriage tour of Old Charleston. The girl who led our tour was extremely knowledgeable and was never dull. I learned so much about Charleston's history, especially during the Revolutionary War. I cannot wait to go back and visit some more.
So there is a brief introduction to my Travel Tree. It is certainly a tree that contains some of my most favorite memories of my life thus far.
I will say that on my traditional tree in the living room I have ornaments that have different memories. It contains ornaments some of my students have given me (one of which I discovered got shattered during the move. It broke my heart because it came from my all-time favorite student and his mother). Most importantly it contains some of the ornaments from my childhood that I confiscated when I went home last year. The oldest ornament on my living room tree is a red glass bulb that belonged to my great-grandparents. When my great-grandmother passed away in 1982 my great-grandfather gave each of his grandchildren (about 30 of them...my dad included) an ornament from his Christmas tree decorations.
With that, I am going to sign off. I hope everyone is having a great day. (Yes, I am over yesterday's slump... life has to go on.)
As promised earlier, below is Miami University Men's Glee Club singing Ramkali. Keep in mind that everything here is A Capella.
That's an awesome tree. I'm impressed by all the stories about each of the ornaments!
ReplyDeleteI had to chuckle, in a good way, while I was reading this. All of the stories behind the ornaments reminded me of Linda. Linda always talks about the precision and thought she puts into every task she does. It has taken her 4 months to finally decorate her classroom as each poster she puts up has an "important message" and "story" behind it. She has to explain each one to the kids. These posters aren't anything you wouldn't find in a typical classroom, "positive people don't put others down," "respect..."
ReplyDeleteAnyways, getting back on track, that's a really cool idea about buying ornaments at each place you visit. I think I like that better than spoons or shot glasses. Each year that time comes around where you get to break out the tree, see the ornaments, and reminisce. I don't recall anyone ever breaking out the spoons and reminiscing.
Oh. I like this concept! I collect cups / mugs / shot glasses. The longer / more important the trip, the bigger the cup. My coming out trip to vegas last year has a shot glass, and giant "bucket" from one of our casinos. I use it as a change cup now. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI also have a crazy collection of shot glasses too. (Sorry, Mikey!) It began as one from every state my dad or I have visited. It continued to cities, events, etc.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorites is one my dad picked up in Salt Lake City during the 2002 Winter Olympics. I was jealous he got to go out there. I wanted so much to go to the Olympics.
I also love the one I have that simply says "Pimp Daddy." It was given to me by my fraternity pledges during their final pledge party. I was the Pledge Educator that year and I had a blast with this group. (Oh the stories that could be told.)