November 5, 2009

Tragedy at Fort Hood

Driving home this evening I was listening to my favorite radio station. The DJ commented that they were keeping a close watch on the situation at Fort Hood, TX.

I had no idea what was going on, but it definitely got my attention.

If you have not heard yet, please read here!




My cousin, who I have always considered more like my brother (we are only a month apart in age), is stationed at Fort Hood. He is now deployed to Iraq, but his wife and two of his kids are living on the base. I became a bit shaky thinking about what was going on at the base. There was not a large amount of information on the radio at the time. The only thing that was running through my head is "ARE THEY OKAY?"

I called my Aunt S to ask if she had heard what was going on in TX. She let me know that she had talked with my cousin's wife. D (my cousin's wife) told my Aunt S that she was okay, but they are still on lockdown on the base. She also said that her daughters were at home at the time of the shooting and lockdown. Everyone there in my family is safe.

My cousin was notified, and he was allowed to call from Iraq to make sure everyone was okay. He was obviously shaken, but thankful for their safety.

I was able to quit shaking, but now I find myself glued to CNN watching this story over and over and over!

This is just a horrible tragedy at Fort Hood. My thoughts and prayers go out to all families affected by this shooting.



As my own personal tribute to my cousin and the thousands of remarkable men and women serving in our Armed Forces, I offer the following video. Thank you for all that each and every one of you do to protect our country and our world. You inspire me in ways you may never know. 

And to my cousin/brother...be safe and come home soon. We all miss you!


8 comments:

  1. Joe I am thrilled that your family is safe ... sorry at a lost for words .... Love Just

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just...

    Thank you for the comment. Our family feels very fortunate to know that our family members at Fort Hood are safe. What made it so much harder for me was that my cousin's two daughters (ages 2 and 8) were there too.

    I think the country is at a loss for words across the board. All everyone can do at this point is to support those who lost a loved one today. It was a senseless act, and that makes it so much harder.

    There is going to be a ton of information coming out in the next days and weeks, and I know there will be some misinformation sent out. I think we all need to watch what is being said so that no one group is given blame for this massacre. I worry most about some sort of retaliation towards some groups in our country.

    Anyway, again, thanks for the comment. Your thoughts for our family and the all other families at Fort Hood is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have family and friends there too ... I have not heard and have not received calls ... so taken that as a good sign

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally saw this on the news! I'm shocked that something like this happened. Glad to hear that your family is okay! *Hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just -

    My prayers are with you, your family, and your friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Austin, just down the highway. Some of the soldiers injured in this act of random violence are being treated at a hospital where a friend of mine works. It's amazing how a simple, single human connection makes something like this "real."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... that is truly one of those events that hit so close to home (as cliche as it may sound).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard about this tragedy on the news several times at work last Friday, despite being so far away from the place. It is truly horrible, and unfortunately it also shows in its most gruesome way you are never totally safe. Not even at home. That's not a comforting thought.

    My thoughts are with everyone involved.

    D

    ReplyDelete