November 15, 2009

What Did I Just Do?

Well, I did it!

I just sent in my resume and application for employment outside of the teaching profession. Okay...sort of outside the teaching profession.

I recently caught wind of a job opening in an education company that really has peaked my interest. I have always wanted to get into politics. Specifically, I want to pursue lobbying for education reform. This potential new job would be in that realm. I have given great thought over the past year about leaving teaching but pursuing a job with this particular company. Ironic how a position opened up this year. It is rare!

I am excited, but extremely terrified at the same time.

The idea of starting anew is incredibly exciting, and outside of my little box. Most friends would agree that it is uncharacteristic of me. I am changing.

What terrifies me the most is the idea of starting a new life in a new city. Also, I have become so emotionally attached to my school, my colleagues, and my students and their families. I know I will be an emotional wreck if the time does come for me to leave my job as a teacher.

If I don't get this position, at least this company will know I am interested in working for them. I have been told that there will be a number of positions opening up in the next year.

Who knows what the future is going to bring. One thing is clear, I am choosing to consider a new path for my life. Hopefully the rest of my life will follow along with this change in career.

I will keep you updated.

I am heading home from my weekend teachers' conference in just a few hours. It has been a long weekend, but one full of useful information I cannot wait to take back and put to use.

Let me just say this before I go...THE HOTEL WAS INCREDIBLE! I could live there and want for nothing.

Talk soon!
- JC

8 comments:

  1. Good luck chap! Change is never easy, but sometimes necessary to get where we need to be in life. Hopefully this new position will open doors that you have only dreamed of, and I wish you well.

    Courage and Honour!

    Octavius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A profitable and worthwhile weekend and great excitement over the possibility of doing something you've always wanted to!

    Wow! You're right - life does seem to be looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! Good luck, hope that you hear back from this organization!

    My dad says that he has never got anything valuable about any teachers' conference (or teachers' education class) he has gone to. Everything he has learned is from being in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you make the right decision for yourself and for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, guys for the support. It may be a month or so before I hear anything, but I will definitely let you know as soon as I know anything.

    James...I will always try to make that right decision for me and my students. For me, that is why this decision will not be taken lightly. My students are the first people I think about when considering any decision I have in front of me.

    However, it also may be that the cards fall a way we had not planned, but we pick them up and start again.

    I don't know what the future holds. I am just going to take it one day at a time. That's all I know how to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you accomplish everything you are looking for. You are correct that change can be frightening and def out of the box for almost everyone I know. But it will be a huge step into a much happier life when you succeed! And I am sure you will!

    Lots of love,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck! at the very least you'll get a chance to practice interviewing and see how your resume does

    ReplyDelete
  8. Change is always good. I wish you luck bud.

    ReplyDelete