When I made my post earlier this week about my birthday, I purposely left out something that brought about a great deal of pain...my mother!
I have talked about this in the past, but I had no relationship with my mother from age 5 to age 18. Since that time, she and I have spent years building a relationship and learning what it means to be mother and son again. I love my mother. I see so much of her in me. She is an amazing woman, and I look up to her.
One of the most painful memories I have that surrounds my mother is the one Christmas that I did not get to see her. She had sent me a card with a message that she would not be able to be with me on Christmas that year. I was crushed. I remember crying for at least a day. It was a hard pill to swallow for someone who worshiped his mom.
Those same feelings resurfaced last week on my birthday. One of the things I look forward to most is a birthday card from Mom. Well, this year, it did not come. Once again, I was crushed. It is hard to explain for someone my age. I still feel like a little child when my mother is involved.
Well, today, those feelings were put to rest. My birthday card from Mom arrived in my mailbox. She had accidently sent the card to my old address. It takes several days for the postal service to forward it to my current address. I didn't even make it out of my car this afternoon before I had to open it. The card was beautiful...simple, elegant, and the message I needed to hear from my mummy!
Below is the card!
Love ya, mom!



A very special thing is your Mum - particularly if you're a boy.
ReplyDeleteI am glad she remembered. My mom always forgets my birthday and we live in the same town. She usually remembers two months late and gives me my $20. :)
ReplyDeleteI was thinking as I was reading this, "oh no!" I wouldn't have mentioned earlier, but would have talked about other things, and welled up inside. Glad to hear she didn't forget!
ReplyDelete