June 27, 2010

Birthday

As a few of you may know, I had my 33rd birthday this past Thursday (June 24).

I always hate birthdays...well, I hate mine anyway. I don't hate it due to the fact that I am a year older. I have certainly embraced the fact that my age is slowing increasing, but I don't have to act it! In fact, I have always concluded that working with my students is what helps keep me feeling and acting young.

The main reason I post about my birthday is simply because this birthday was not a good one.

Just for a bit of history, I arrived home from my 10-day marathon trip across three states on Wednesday night around 10:30 PM.

On Thursday, my birthday, I had two meetings scheduled for the day. Yes, I am always working...even during my "summer vacation." The first meeting was a yearbook rep meeting that lasted about 90 minutes. This rep was trying to woo me over to their production company. The next meeting was across town for contract negotiations. That meeting lasted 3 1/2 hours. Both meetings went very well. Do the math...I had 5 hours of meetings on my birthday. Ugh!

To top it all off, there was no birthday celebration: no party, no dinner out with friends/family, not even a cake.

Okay, I had about 100 Facebook messages wishing me a Happy Birthday. Plus, I received a card and present in the mail from MH. It was this awesome journal, and I loved the card. MH doesn't know it, but she made my day. It was bright spot in a day where I tend to get depressed.

Yes, I realize that there are friends and family out there that love me. I get that. What sucks is that I now live in a place where I am alone. My family is over two hours away. Best friend, Jenny, is over 3 hours away. There really wasn't anyone around here who could have helped me celebrate.

MH gave me a bit of a demand and told me to celebrate with some ME time for my birthday. Sorry, Mandi! I did not do it! The question is why didn't I take some me time? The answer...I don't necessarily take time out for me. I have never been one to take personal time for my benefit. I am a person who lives to serve others. Most of my time is spent working for or with people who need some type of support. That has always been my nature, and it can also be my downfall sometime.

I wrote this just to get it out of my system. Now it sounds like my own little pity party, which I hate. All hope is not lost.

I am leaving for New Orleans in a few days. I am going there for a work conference. I will be down there for a full week. Yes, there will be hours of work involved while I am there. However, I promise to take some time and have a blast. (Some of you sickos need to get your heads out of the gutter.)

I love New Orleans. During my undergrad years, I spent three of my spring breaks working with an organization called the No AIDS Task Force. Some of my college friends and I spent a full week each time helping in the NOTF's homebound program. We helped prepare 300 meals (150 lunches and 150 dinners) each day for homebound AIDS patients. We even got bold and helped deliver some of the meals. I loved my time there each year. I haven't been to Nawlins since 2004 before Hurrican Katrina hit the city. I am anxious to go back and see how the city has changed.

Did I mention I have full intention of having beignets and hot chocolate at Cafe Du Monde in the mornings. I don't drink coffee, so hot chocolate has to suffice. I plan on taking some time in the French Quarter and the French market. I want to go into the Garden District and have a look at the historic homes. I will take a tour of Lafayette Cemetery 1. There are so many things I want to see and do while there. I cannot wait.

8 comments:

  1. Joey, If you would'nt mind sending me your address. I would like to send you something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love café du monde! I can taste those beignets right now. I brought a box of mix for them home when I was in NOLA like 3 years ago, and really wish I brought home 2, 3, or 4 boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love me time. I think I tend to live a life for/to help others, but I still have to find some me time in the mix. It may be a quick trip to the mall, a walk around Target and buying myself something, or treating myself to takeout at a restaurant I have never been, but it is important ME time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joey!

    I hate birthdays too!

    Bah!

    -Dean

    P.S.: Maybe for your next birthday you can have two cakes to make up for missing out on this year? (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian -
    I sent you my address via email. Hope you got it. But seriously, save your money!

    Mikey -
    I love Cafe du Monde. I plan on bringing back some of the beignet mix as well. It's addictive. As for the ME time, I think I will need some of you to teach me how to find it.

    Dean -
    Two cakes? What an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate my birthdays because I'm a year older lol. Nonetheless, happy birthday, Joey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay- Seriously- I'm bringing you here and forcing you to spend the afternoon with me indulging yourself. Massage with Brian, a stroll through the bookstore, dinner of cake and more cake at sweet sallie's, and if you're really good, we're going for pedicures. You can't possibly say no, because I'm not ASKING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mandi,

    Believe me, I wouldn't say no to you or any of that! Where do I sign up! LOL

    ReplyDelete