Today I made one of my students cry. Evidently, he cried all the way home.
Not going to say much about the situation that happened. Let's just say that it was two friends were goofing off at the end of the day, and they both made a bad judgement call. Nothing mean or vindictive.
I sent an email to his mother before I left work today to let her know what had gone on and to try to help her ease her son's mind. She replied back thanking me for how we handled the situation. She also said that he was very upset. Ugh!
I hate it when my students cry...especially when it is a student that is as awesome as this one. I almost ended up crying too because of this whole thing. I am such a sap sometimes.

It must be difficult to choose to be responsible and discipline the young man but we all know he will be better off in the future for what you did today
ReplyDeleteIt just hurts a little to see them cry I can imagine. take care and be safe
bob
I know my student will be okay...kids are resilient. I just seem to feel guilt for making a kid cry. I think we will both be okay.
ReplyDeleteAgain, I am just a big sap where my kids are involved!
No, you're not a "sap", you're a compassionate, caring teacher. Don't feel bad for your feelings.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about it!!! Seriously!!! It tears you up inside, I know, I've had that happen, but it is because we care. Kids will forget and remember important lessons.
ReplyDeleteI have 1 student I regularly sub for, and he is not a bad kid, but he's not always on his best behavior. He has 4-5 students that he is constantly getting into trouble with. He is a softy, and he does it for attention. I quietly let him know there was an issue this particularly day, and to change his behavior. The second time I called him out on it, the third time I was peeved and told him to step outside. I give him a few minutes to stew outside, then I go out there and I said "you were saying negative words to other students because ___________" and he could have fallen. He told me he was so sorry, and the waterworks started. I know he's a good kid, but I've put the fear in him since, and he knows when he is in a class to not misbehave because I keep him in line.
Tomorrow will be a new day!