January 20, 2010

A Reason to Celebrate

Today I received an email from my Aunt P to tell me that my cousin, Paul, is due to return home from Iraq later this week! That's right...his time in that sand trap and back home in the United States.

No disrespect intended for the Middle East. I simply prefer the beauty of the Tennessee. 


This has been Paul's second tour in Iraq. He has been over there since 2009 began. He has been gone way too long. I know he has been waiting for this day for quite a while. I told his wife that I am simply in awe at her strength over the past year. She has spent the year working with the other wives on the base to support each other and the soldiers stationed on the base. One of the things she and the other wives have been doing is to decorate the barracks to welcome home the soldiers returning from their tours of duty and have no one to welcome them home. They made sure that each soldier felt love and appreciation. The Army Wives (the real ones...not the TV show) are very strong, brave, and resilient women. More power to them! 


Paul's wife and kids made the decision not to open Christmas presents until he came home from Iraq. It makes me smile just to think about the fact that over the weekend Paul will return home, he will get to see how much his kids have grown, they will all spend some much needed time together, and they will play catch up on the holidays. What could be a more perfect welcome back that to celebrate Christmas with your four children? 

I wish I could travel to the base to help the family welcome him back and to simply say thanks for the sacrifice he made for all of us. Luckily, the base offers an alternative. I will be able to watch the welcome home ceremonies over the web. Gotta love technology! 




That is my good news for the day. 

If you know or happen to run into our military servicemen or women, be sure to say thank you for the sacrifices they continue to make for us.

Till next time.
- JC

6 comments:

  1. I'd have to agree with you on that one. Our Armed Forces are simply an amazing collection of people! I'm happy to hear your Cousin is coming home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how proud you are of him. I am so grateful for him, and every one of his colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm living far away from it all, still I have the deepest respect for all servicemen. Glad to hear your cousin is coming home, I can't even picture the joy you all feel over this.

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe man I am so happy for you ...Please tell him thank you for me ... hope you get to see him soon man ... Love Lee ( thanks for your support btw )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for Paul!

    Glad he is safe and that he'll be reunited with his family soon!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete