January 22, 2010

How to Meditate

This week I have been teaching my 6th graders about world religions. We have been discussing the origins of Hinduism and Buddhism, as well as the current practices of both. Understand that I am working in the Bible Belt of America. The majority of my student population is of the Christian faith. That is all they have ever known. One of the reasons I enjoy teaching Hinduism and Buddhism is that part of their faith is understanding and acceptance of all people. I work to teach my students that the people of the world believe in a variety of religions, but that so many of them share many many similarities. This has certainly been my favorite unit to teach so far this year. 

I thought it would be interesting to explore the world of meditation with my students. We discussed the purpose of meditation in the Buddhist faith and its assimilation into our modern-day society. Again, it is all about opening their eyes and minds to the world outside our little fishbowl. 

I found this video to help my students understand the basics of meditation. 


After watching the video, the students were excited to try it. They all got onto the floor and were ready to go. I was amazed. The majority of them gave meditating an honest attempt. I sat there with my jaw on the floor. You could easily see the ones who were getting into it. They were as still as I had ever seen them. The only sound in the room was the ticking of the clock. One of my favorites was "Chris" who was completely into meditating, then watching his head just tilt to the side as he fell asleep. He was gone. When the students were done, he did not wake up. It was great. 

I let them try it for 5 minutes. (Baby steps!) 

Once I pulled them back to Earth we talked about what they experienced. They were surprised that their minds were racing in the beginning. The more they focused on their breathing, the less they sensed of the world around them...thoughts left them...external sounds were gone...some even admitted that they didn't even notice their breath in the end. I asked them why they thought this was happening. Some of them tuned into the fact that as they focused on their breathing, all other senses were tuned out. I love when they make the connections we work so hard for them to get. 

(Note: I have to believe them, but I also know the ones who are going to say just about anything.) 

It was probably the best day we have had all year. Who knew that something so simple would excite them so much? The students walked in today and the first question was "Are we going to meditate today?" I am going to think about taking a 5-10 minute part of each class to allow the students to meditate.

I have heard of teachers that do meditation in their classes. They all report better behavior and increased performance in their students. Why would I not want to try it? What will my principal think when she sees "Meditation" on my lesson plans? 

This post turned out much longer than I planned. Just got a bit excited. The fun of new discoveries in my teaching world. 

9 comments:

  1. As a Buddhist and meditator, I was surprised that the video clip seemed to suggest not having thoughts. That's very difficult. I prefer to think of it as "The thoughts are going to happen, but I won't engage them and will let them pass away." It's great that you're sharing this with your students. I wish that I could get my son interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be an amazing teacher. I am sure that, when I was at school, 90% of the kids in my class would have made farting noises, laughed, etc rather than give it a sensible go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be interesting to know how you introduced to your pupils Islam, may be, no sure it would be more difficult than hinduism and buddhism.
    for my point a view, I think that religion must stay out of classes. expcept teaching tolerance
    nabil

    ReplyDelete
  4. GP -
    Dealing with the thoughts is difficult, at least that is my experience. I suppose it goes with my OCD and ADD. I found my mind racing at a vigorous pace. It took me some time (and practice) to just let them go by without engaging them.

    Also, there is not one single practicing Buddhist on my team of students. If only you lived near here...I could put you to work as a guest speaker. Trust me, the kids would ask a million questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen -
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, however I don't give myself that amount of greatness. As for the kids acting up, I was surprised myself on some level. Even my severely ADHD kids who cannot sit still were as still and calm as they could get. I was definitely amazed. I remember only one student who laughed a bit, but it was because he had such a hard time trying to focus. He did keep the laughing to himself, not to disturb the others.

    In truth, no matter how much I may gripe and complain some days about them, I do have some pretty awesome kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nabil -
    Part of the curriculum for 6th grade is the 5 major religions of the world (Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam). My students and I discuss that we are learning about the religions of the world to help us better understand the cultures of the world. We also take the time to do comparisons and contrasts of them. I honestly believe that by teaching our students about religions, other then their own, they will develop an understanding of and respect for others in this world. It may sound idealistic, but we have to start somewhere.

    We have not gotten to the section of the unit on Islam just yet. The students are aware that is is coming up soon. Again, I will teach about the history and beliefs of Islam. Part of that discussion will also be the Five Pillars of Islam.

    In no way do I claim to be fully versed in all the major world religions. However, I will do a great amount of research before presenting it to my kids. It is my intent to show great respect to all people and religions of the world.

    I suppose I look at the world as one where all children need to learn about each other so that one day they will all be able to make this world a peaceful place to live. Again, sometimes I am idealistic, but I have hope.

    And as for the comment of keeping religion out of schools, I don't go around talking about my personal beliefs and faith. I simply teach the religions to help us understand the cultures of the world. I certainly do NOT go at this with the intention of trying to convert anyone to a particular religion.

    I hope that helps clear it up a bit. I appreciate the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent Post. Thanks! I've let my meditation slide for the last several months. Well, more than slide, it's been non existent.
    I'm slowly getting back into it.

    As for teaching about religion in schools, I think people freak out about it WAY too much. People don't seem to make a distinction of teaching about religion and teaching a religion.

    We can come to understand the world better if we understand what and why people believe in what they do. It's certainly not an indoctrination into a particular belief system.

    Granted, learning about the reality of the rest of the world did affect my belief in my own religion. That is a reality I think many are actually afraid of. An personal identity wrapped in a religions belief can feel threatened when that belief is "challenged", not doctrinally, but culturally. To have that challenged is to have ones identity challenged.

    But it's a delicate thing. Parents in super conservative religions don't want their children learning ANYTHING outside their world view. And there are teachers who don't understand how to separate their own religious biases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and I also appreciate your answer, you are doing a great job, keep going.
    nabil

    ReplyDelete
  9. JC!

    What a perfect way to get those rambunctious kids to behave! LOL

    Very neat!!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete