You would suspect that we would have a welcome back breakfast, maybe a muffin, or just a nice "Hi, we are glad you are here" type of greeting. WRONG!
Instead we were treated to a one-hour training on teen suicide. It is a required training, but I have to say that it was a bit depressing to talk about such a dark subject in the first hour of being back at school.
The session started out with the playing of the following song.
During the singing of this song by one of the high school counselors (by the way, she was incredible), you could hear the sobs coming from around the room. They showed a PowerPoint presentation during the song that contained some of the lyrics and pictures that would make any grown man cry...well, at least the ones with a heart. I have to admit, I was crying.
I sat there listening to the story of one young man who was bullied to the point he hung himself in 2003. The, I sat there in amazement as I heard some of the statistics, such as about 60% of high school students have admitted to thinking about ending their life at some point. For every one successfully completed suicide there are at least 25 unsuccessful ones. Girls are 3 times more likely to attempt suicide, but boys are 4 times more successful.
It was a hard topic to swallow this morning, but it really got me thinking. One thing I have never though about is ending my life. I know that I have friends out there in the blog world, and here at home, who have contemplated it at one point or another. It saddens me to no end.
All I wish I could do is hug each of my friends who are considering taking their own life and just let them know that there is a better way.
If you are one of those friends, know I will always be here for you. Please allow yourself to get help. You are loved and you are wanted here on Earth.
Sorry for the morbid topic today, but it has been weighing heavy on my mind.
The picture above is about the young man we heard about today, Ryan Halligan.
See the video below for his story.

The statistics are even higher with gay teens. They are 30% more likely to commit suicide and carry it out than other teens. Just throwing that out- remember my sexuality paper that caused such a stir!
ReplyDeleteLGBT teens are also 30% more likely to commit suicide than other teens. Just throwing that out there- that one really astounded me when doing my sexuality presentation for adolescent psych
ReplyDeleteLove this post ... I am blessed in not succeeding , don't worry was when I was 16. Glad my sister was sick and came home early is all I am saying ...otherwise I wouldn't be here. Have ever heard of the Trevor Project ... I am sure you have... but thanks for this post ...We all got to reach out we are all connected. I am glad they reach out to me , although I didn't want it they didn't give me that option. Everything is only a temporary state. We just get lost sometimes with whatever we are fighting. When I feel lost ( this may sound morbid) all I have to do is look at my wrists at my scars. I remember it only a temporary state then and think of the good that is still out there and in front ( althought at that time I didn't see it ) . Every thing changes. Just wish some could see past that state.... It shape me and made me who I am today. Still think they should of brought you donuts or chocolate .... Love Lee
ReplyDeleteLee...Thanks for being brave enough to share your experience. Also, I know of the Trevor Project. It is an awesome group. Also, our school uses the Jason Project. Same concept.
ReplyDeleteI really feel that more of the people who talk of their experiences, the more they will educate others and help others.
You are an inspiration.
- JC
For the past 3 years, I have devoted myself to a youth suicide prevention organisation, spoken to at least 30 high schools, 12 parents seminar and 3 conferences about the issue.
ReplyDeleteSuicide is the third-leading cause of death among 16-24 year olds in the United States. In the average American High School Classroom of 30 students over the past 12 months, 7 of the students will have had extended periods of hopelessness, 4 will have seriously contemplated suicide with 3 having made a plan and 2 having made a suicide attempt.
And there is so much we could do both online and in our own life, in the classrooms.