January 1, 2010

Blast from the Past

What a way to start the New Year...

Tonight I was looking on my Facebook page, and I saw I had a new friend request. I was shocked when I clicked on the link and saw who it was.

Scott was one of the first kids I worked with when I began working at our local summer camp 11 years ago. He was 11, had just moved to our area from Chicago, and was looking to fit in. He had no problem with that. Scott was the best camper we had. He and I clicked instantly. I have a picture of him and some of my other kids from that year somewhere in the house. When I find it, I will have to post it.

Anyway, Scott came back to camp for the next 2 or 3 years after that. I continued to learn more about Scott and his family. He lived with his mom and sister. His dad still lived in Chicago, so he never saw him. I became somewhat of a big brother to him. I would go pick up Scott from his house, we would go to the movies, go play miniature golf, grab a bit for lunch, etc. He was just a fun kid to hang out with.

Well, as time goes by, Scott and I lose contact with each other. I had my nose in the books to finish college, and Scott grew too old for summer camp. I kept a check on him from time to time through mutual friends.

Tonight was a nice surprise. We got the chance to catch up on what each other has been doing since we last spoke. Now I find Scott to be a 22-year old young adult. He has attended community college and graduated with an associates degree. He has been unable to find a job in the field he chose, so he has now decided to go to a 4-year university to get a degree in nursing. I asked him why he chose nursing, and he said he wanted to work in a field where he could help people.

Finding Scott to be a respectable young man who will be returning to college to pursue another field of study makes me proud to have been a part of his life. In some way, I feel I had a hand in helping him become the fine young man he is today. In some ways, he is still the same Scott I knew 11 years ago.

It's funny that even through a decade has passed, we can go back in time and then catch up on where we are today.

It was a great way to start the New Year.
- JC

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool! I am a "big brother" through BBBS of America and always find it amazing to see what a huge impact just a little positive encouragement or time together can have on a child's life. Great job! Happy new year as well!

    Yours in blogland,
    Ryan

    ReplyDelete