February 10, 2010

We Got Snow...I Got Sick!

Greetings friend!

Well, I will to keep this short and sweet today.

This morning I woke up to blustering winds rattling the house. I looked outside and only saw a dusting of snow on the ground. I checked the weather report and the school closings...we were on schedule for today. I get in my car and head to work. About 5 minutes into my drive, I get a text message from my principal stating we were on a 2-hour delay. This meant they were concerned, and it gives the administration time to make a decision to close or not to close. I get to work about 45 minutes later (ran a few errands since I had extra time today). As I am walking in the office, I get another text from the principal stating schools have officially closed for the day. I was most certainly not happy. We are out of snow days to use. Any additional days taken off will be added to the end of the calendar school year. I do not want to end up going to school during the first week of June. No thanks!

Well, I set around my classroom for about an hour trying to get some work done. (papers graded, lesson plans for next week, copy requests made, email, etc) As I sat there I could feel a headache coming on, and it was coming on fast and strong. I took some meds to try and head it off. It was then I decided to head home.

I got home and hit the couch to catch up on some much needed sleep. The headache was getting worse too, so I needed to try and sleep it off. I woke up about an hour ago and the headache is now pounding. It is pounding so bad that I can sometimes see my vision pulse with my head. BIZARRE! To top it off, I find I also have a sore throat.

If I have contracted the flu (for which I had a virus shot for a couple months ago) or strep, I will be really ticked off. I don't have time to be sick and out of school. My students need to be learning. State tests are coming up in 7 - 8 weeks. We need to teach more and review from the entire year. I hate state testing.



I would love to know which of my little "darlings" gave me this bug?

Let's just say that I will be spending the rest of my day resting and medicating myself.

It sucks that I am on an extra day off, and I cannot really enjoy it due to this darned illness.

I will stop ranting now. Thanks for listening. Talk to you all soon.

Take care,
- JC

5 comments:

  1. Searches through attendance sheets... who has been absent? What were they out for?

    Hope you feel better!!!

    Oh, and we are 57 and sunny today. No snow days here. We are scheduled to get out on time.

    And I like the graphic that goes with this post... haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon!

    When my vision and headaches sync, it's a migraine — often caused (again, this is me) by under-hydrating or eating too much sugar or flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silas -
    This one is a migraine. I have not had an official one in over two years. That is why I don't have my migraine meds.

    I can guarantee that it is not due to under-hydrating or too much sugar/flour. I drink at least 200 fl oz of water each day. Yes, only water. Also, I avoid sugars in my food, and I keep the flour to a bare minimum. But, thanks for the insight.

    Mine is most likely brought on by this virus hitting me today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mikey -

    Just have to rub it in about the 57 degrees? I am definitely jealous. I would give anything to be in that temperature so I could put on my flip-flops. I am so tired of wearing socks and close-toed shoes.

    Good luck with the dancing. I cannot wait to see the video of the performance. (You know I will be searching for it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I commend you for your dedication. When we had out snow day at the beginning of January it was like god had answered a prayer.

    Just think about how happy your students are...

    I think it is perfect timing that you have got the flu...hey, if you are gonna get it you might as well get it while you are off work.

    ReplyDelete