Valentine's Day has become a day to celebrate those we love and those who love us. Our culture has turned it into a time to celebrate mainly our significant other in our lives.
I, like many others on this day, are without a "significant other" in my life at this point. In the past that would probably make me sad, depressed, etc. However, this year I have chosen to take a different path...
Thanks to a wonderful piece of advice and encouragement from a most incredible friend (you know who you are!), I have chosen to look at all the love coming at me from my friends and family! They are the people who love me unconditionally, have my back in times of need, and are at my side (physically or emotionally) whenever I need them most.
As I examine my life, I have been blessed with more friends than I think I could have ever wished for in this life. I have friends from just about every walk of life, and I have learned unbelievable amount from each of them. Each of them hold a special place in my life and heart.
My friends have taught me so much over the years. Going into college, I was a shy and quiet individual who never wanted to be in a crowd of people. My friends have helped me to become more confident in myself, to step into a crowd and get to know people, and to step up and take some leadership in my life.
I used to worry about EVERY SINGLE PERSON's perception of me. I worked very hard to live the life of the "golden child" in my family. I never wanted anyone to see the negative in me. My friends helped to overcome all of that. I no longer run my life based on others' perceptions of me. I live my life for who I am. I am now working on my happiness in this life. That is something I have never done in many years past. I could not thank my friends enough for that gift alone.
Being from a very small (5000 people or less) town that is staunchly right-winged and conservative, I held a very narrow view of the world and its people. My friends helped me to see different races, religions, cultures, etc. My eyes were opened to so many new experiences. I look to my friends from India, Germany, Austria, Nigeria, Laos, Australia, Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico, Japan, China, France, Italy, Russia, South Africa, and beyond. They have been my teachers of the world. What we learn in books and research could never compare to learning from those who live it everyday. Each of you have helped me to expand my understanding, acceptance, and appreciation of all people in this world. I look forward to learning so much more about the people and cultures of the world.
Now to my newest friendships over the past year...my blogosphere friends. I have gotten to know so many of you over the past year. It has been one of the greatest surprises of the blogging experience. I have chatted with many of you online, talked with some of you over the phone, and have even had the best experiences meeting some of you in person. Some of these friendships have gone above and beyond anything I would have expected. You have welcomed me into your lives, and you have taken an interest in mine. I could never have imagined the blessings I feel from some of these friendships. Thank you to each of you for becoming a part of my life and letting me be part of yours.
So, where am I going with this?
Simply put...on this celebrated day of love, I simply wanted to make the point of the love I feel in my life from my friends and family. I may never be able to completely and sufficiently say Thank You to each of you for the many contributions you have made to my life. That will never stop me from trying.
Happy Valentine's Day!


I love your brightness. It would match quite nicely with the shiny meringue frosting I just put on my homemade cupcakes. You know you want some. . .
ReplyDeleteHappy Valentines Day!!!
ReplyDeleteMandi -
ReplyDeleteYou're killing me! Last week it was 100 sugar cookies, and now you are making homemade cupcakes with the meringue frosting? You know I want one. Ugh, if I didn't live 3 hours away I would be there in a heartbeat! Love ya!
Cheers, happy Valentine's to you as well!
ReplyDeleteHappy Valentine's Day Mikey and bK! Hope you both had a great one.
ReplyDeleteI need to be more like you, Joey!
ReplyDeleteYou have a great outlook on life!
That dog pic is ADORABLE btw!
-Dean