Been only four days since I made some posting, but it feels like much longer. Life had been crazy this week. Here are some thoughts of the week.
Starting Over
This week was a new start to my teaching year. Monday was the first day without my autistic child in the classroom. For those who have not read/heard, he got moved to a more appropriate classroom setting. I can honestly say that I am thoroughly enjoying being able to teach my kids. They are much more relaxed this week without having to worry about the screaming or interruptions. We have laughed, sang, and just had fun learning about the Paleolithic and Neolithic ages in history.
In science we have been studying ecology, or the interaction of living organisms and their environment. It all kicked off on Monday when students wanted to argue/debate the fact that you can/cannot interact with the sun. I am never one to back down from a challenge. I went to the window seat, pulled up the blinds, knelt down in the window and started reciting lines of Romeo and Juliet to the sun. The kids were rolling in the floor. Just as I was finishing my ode to the sun and got up from my knelt position, the school psychologist walked by my window. Luckily, she did not see me. I could just imagine her coming to my room to make sure I was okay.
It is moments like that which I love the most about teaching!
Facing life...and death.
As I reported earlier this week, a local student has been fighting Ewing's Sarcoma for two years now, and it appears his fight is almost over. His friends and family have been amazing as they rally around him this week. The waiting rooms at the Children's Hospital have been full every afternoon and evening with friends hoping to get to see Bradley. When he was feeling up to it, he would have visitors in his room. His friends and family have shown nothing but love and support for him.
Tomorrow will be Bradley's 18th birthday. His mom has been thinking he has been holding on for that day because he has talked about turning 18 for such a long time. On Wednesday night his friends and family threw him an 18th birthday party at the hospital. Bradley's mom posted that he thought Wednesday was his 18th birthday, so she wanted to celebrate it then. I think she thought he would let go after that.
In true Bradley fashion, he has not given up yet. So Bradley and his mom are 9 days in the PICU at the hospital. She has not left his room since they have arrived. She showers in his bathroom, then she eats and sleeps in his room. She is not leaving his side for anything. She is truly amazing.
Today's post from Bradley's mom was so heartbreaking. She spoke about Bradley having difficulty breathing today. He would stop breathing, his 02 would drop, and she would think it was time. Then Bradley would fight back and take a breath again. She is having a very had day today. The hardest part of that post was at the end when she says "The 'Bradley' moments are getting further apart and I don't want him to suffer anymore...I love him so much, I have to let him go..."
I can't imagine the pain she is going through. A mother who has such a strong love for her son is coming to the realization it is time to cut her son free and let him fly to Heaven.
I have seemingly learned so much from Bradley and his mother about bravery, compassion, the will to live, and everlasting love. I only hope that I can live my life to the fullest as Bradley has taught so many of us.
Who knows when Bradley will leave this Earth and go home to God? Just pray that his pain is no more and that he feels the love and peace from those around him.
Thought I would post this video for Bradley.
In other sad news, I learned this week that my former student, Sam, received news this week that his father may not survive the week either. His dad has been fighting leukemia for a few years. I spoke with Sam's aunt earlier in the week, and she told me his treatments were no longer working, he developed pneumonia, and the doctors had to intubate him. He is now on a ventilator. This was the news I was hoping not to hear about this happening. I worry about Sam. I worry about how he will come through losing his dad. I have told his aunt to keep me posted and that I will be here if she needs me. Ugh!
That all was a bit tough to write. I feel the need to stop and just process it all.
Agree no more pain for Bradley ... may peace find him soon! My thoughts and wishes go out to his family!Sorry to hear about Sam and his dad.... you hang in there Joe....Your such a caring and wonderful person.... I know you do what you can! Hoping for peace!
ReplyDelete"The 'Bradley' moments are getting further apart and I don't want him to suffer anymore...I love him so much, I have to let him go
ReplyDeleteThat brought a tear to my eye....
A lot of emotional news for you, Joey!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your classroom is finally starting to come together at least!
-Dean