September 12, 2010

Here We Go Again

Why does cancer and death seem to be abound these past few weeks?

I just received a message from my friend Lori, who is the aunt of a former student, Sam. Sam's dad (Rick) has been fighting Leukemia for a couple years. Lori's message was as follows:

Things are sad. Rick was brought home by ambulance on Friday, and he's here with Hospice. We're very thankful to have him home, but just heartbroken with the situation. I gotta say Sam is just remarkable! He walks in with a smile and is fantastic. The conversation is upbeat and positive. He's a heck of a kid. Thank you for keeping up with us. I am sure I'll see you tomorrow.


Once again, my heart is breaking at the thought of another family being torn apart by cancer.

I remember meeting with Rick earlier last year when his Leukemia was in remission. He was meeting with us to discuss how he can help Sam become more successful in school. I remember thinking that Sam looked and acted a lot like his dad. It was clear that Rick loved his kids, and that he was trying to make up for lost time. It was not long after that parent-teacher meeting that Rick's leukemia came back with a vengeance.

Rick has been spending that past months (at least since Christmas) at Vanderbilt University fighting this disease for all it's worth. During that time, Sam and his sister have been living with Aunt Lori. Lori is truly amazing in my book. She opened her home to her son's kids, and she has been working to make sure that each of them is successful in school. I credit Lori for helping Sam achieve so much this past year. She is an incredible lady.

I have this awful feeling that Sam's dad will not survive this week. I am going to hate to see what will happen to Sam. As Lori put it, "He's a heck of a kid."

As a teacher, I will be there to help Sam through this. As a friend to Lori, I will be there to help her as she transitions from being the caregiver to her son's kids to being their full-time guardian, and as she copes with the loss of her beloved brother.

Prayers and thoughts go out to Lori, Sam, Jayne, and family as they deal with Rick's illness.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear this, Joey.

    Maybe this news always has a way of finding you, so that you'll be a more informed support system for someone else down the road.

    Perhaps it's God's way of training you for something much bigger than you know!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete