September 25, 2010

Life Rolls On...

I am afraid I have been a bad friend to you all lately. I have not really had a lot of extra time to devote to posting and reading posts. I feel very behind in catching up with so many of you. For that, I am sincerely sorry!

Turns out that a few of my blogger friends have a birthday this week. I would be remiss if I didn't take the time to recognize them. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Austin and Aaron! Hope that both of you have an awesome birthday filled with every hope and wish you could possibly imagine!





This is a weekend in which I don't have any traveling or time commitments. I can actually take some time to really relax and enjoy a weekend off. I don't really know what to do with myself. I got up this morning, ran out for some breakfast, got a haircut, did a bit of grocery shopping, and made my way back home to watch my Tennessee Vols win their football game against the University of Alabama at Birmingham. (Hey, in my family you have to be a Tennessee fan or you can be disowned...LOL)

 I will be heading out in about two hours to go watch a local band play. This band, called Barefoot Movement is a bluegrass band that I was introduced by the mother of a former student. I love their music and am very excited to see them live. I love live music. There is just something about it that makes my iPod inadequate. It should be a nice evening with good friends and good music.

In some exciting news...I only have two more weeks of school before we have fall break. That's right! Our school system gets a full week off between the first and second quarters. It comes at one of the best times of the season. It is not typically too cold, and the heat of summer has passed.

The beginning of October also my favorite time of year. During the first weekend of October each year we have the Apple Festival, the International Storytelling Festival, and the Wizard of Oz Festival happening in our area.

The Apple Festival is a huge festival in a very small town. It attracts over 100,000 people to the quaint, little town of Erwin. You can find everything apple at this festival. The best part would be the FOOD. Each year we all flock to this festival to pick our favorite kinds of apples. I make a race for my particular kind of apples, simply because they are hard to find. I love a kind of apple called the Mutsu apple. It is a crisp apple that is sweet and tart. Yummy! We also take the time to stop by the Menonite's booth. There we pick up all kinds of delicious apple goodies. Our favorite...fried apple pies. Oh, I cannot tell you enough how delicious those pies are. Don't forget to pick up apple butter, peach butter, pumpkin butter, blackberry preserves, canned soups, etc.

The International Storytelling Festival takes place in Jonesborough, TN each October. Who knew storytelling had such a huge following? Tens of thousands of people from all over the world (yes, I said the world) come to Jonesborough each October to attend storytelling events for three packed days. I drove through Jonesborough today, and all the tents are already up and waiting. I absolutely love going to the festival. Our two favorite events are the evening Ghost Stories under the gazebo in the park and the Midnight Cabaret (a comedy storytelling like no other). This even brings millions of dollars into this small town. Our university is the only one in the nation where you can obtain a Masters Degree in Storytelling. Everyone should try to attend at least once in life!

Sadly, I don't think I will be able to attend the festivals this year. Seems I have to be out of town for some state council events I must attend. Life beckons, and I must heed the call!

Yesterday I applied for a job as a Grant Administrator for after-school programs in our school system. This position would focus on those after-school programs to benefit our at-risk student/family population. Working with at-risk students is an area close to my heart. Given the definition of "at-risk" in America, I would have been considered an at-risk student when I was in school. I understand where a lot of these students are coming from, and I look forward to having the opportunity to work with them. I should know by Monday or Tuesday if I am selected for an interview. Will keep everyone posted.

Speaking of school, Friday was an interesting one. My team has first-period planning. That means our students are in their related arts classes from 8:00 - 9:00 each morning. This is the time I get to plan, write lessons, grade papers, talk with colleagues, call parents, etc. On Friday, I was outside the school entrance returning from going to my car. While outside the entrance I heard screaming coming from inside. I also heard someone screaming the name of one of my students. Just then I saw him bolt across the lobby, slamming doors and yelling along the way. I instantly ran inside to see what was going on with him. There were four teachers standing in the hall as my student goes down the hall crying, yelling, and running away. One of my teammates and I happened to be there. We chased him down to talk with him. He was uncontrollable. We got him to calm down enough to bring him back to the office and into the assistant principal's office. Seems he had gotten into an argument with a female 7th grader. (In his defense, this particular girl is one who is known to push buttons just to get reactions from everyone.) My teammate and I went into the office and sat with this student. We knew how to keep him calmed down. It was not easy. His mom was called in. He was almost sent home. He was lucky that our school's police officer was tied up with another situation. If he would have been there, my student would have been taken out in handcuffs. Thankfully, that didn't happen. Once he was calmed down, everyone spoke with him and the situation was settled. However, my student was not completely ready to go back to class. He was still crying, and this is one tough kid usually. I decided to take him outside for a walk. We walked around the school for about 10 minutes or so. We talked about how far he has come this year and how everyone had noticed. We discussed how he knows this female student and how she likes to really push his buttons. He finally calmed down and was able to return to class. It is amazing to me how some kids can act so tough on the outside, but on the inside they are tender and crying out for help. This student of mine is a prime example. I hope that this is a breakthrough that will help him continue to grow and improve this year.

Okay, I have rambled on long enough. In my next post I feel the need to write to you about Justin...the guy I have been seeing in recent months. It will probably be another long post, so you are warned!

Take care, my friends!
Joey

4 comments:

  1. Wow, so much drama at school! Although I've never seen an episode of House or similarly dramatic primetime programming, your experiences at school would make quite the script for a show of its own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bK-

    Well, it IS middle school. There is always a mass amount of drama present. Some days there is just more that we expect. LOL!

    If I could write a script (or dozens of them) from my experiences, I would be all over it. You are lucky I didn't mention the sex ed conversations that took place amongst some of my kids this week. I blush just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummmm WHAT???? JUSTIN??? And I thought we were friends. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love ya, MH!
    I have seemingly kept everyone in the dark about Justin. I know...I'm a bad boy.

    ReplyDelete