September 23, 2009

The Patriarch

The more I think about it, I have come to a very terrifying realization...I am being groomed to become the patriarch of my family.

I don't mean that it will happen anytime in the near future, but I can see it happening one day. Currently, my Aunt is the head of the family. So much so that we actually refer to her as "The Warden." She oversees pretty much anything and everything. No one seems to make a move in life without running it by her. I don't want that to come off in a negative way. She is the voice of reason and is always the opinion that counts. She also oversees the financial situations of several family members. She is just there to make sure that everyone is in a good place.

It seems like much of what she does is being passed on to me from time to time. I am now one who helps when it comes to family dinners, I do a lot of the shopping for all the Christmas presents. Members of the family call me for financial advice when banking is concerned. I still file taxes for my dad and my brother. I have to drive two or more hours when they need the computers fixed. Heck, I even have created resumes for my brother and my dad. Did I mention all the applications for employment I filled out for my brother. There is much more, but I will stop here.

One of the reasons that I have moved at least 2 hours or more from my dad is to keep from taking over the role of the patriarch. I want to have a life. I love my family and I want to help take care of them, but I definitely need some independence as well.

Oh well...life will go on! We will have to wait and see what happens!

Take Care,
- JC

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is just an inherited thing? Maybe it is instinctive? Fatherly type? Too caring? Maybe it is being the type who need to control/make sure everything works (see ocd... haha)

    I can certainly understand needing the separation from family. It is a taxing job.

    ReplyDelete