September 27, 2009

The Meaning of Matthew

This evening I purchased the book "The Meaning of Matthew."



Unless you have been living under a rock over the past 10 years, you should remember that Matthew Shepard is the young man who was brutally beaten, tied to a fence, and left to die in Laramie, Wyoming.

I remember being in my undergraduate years in college and watching all the news programs during the time of Matthew's murder. At that point in time, I was in absolute denial about me being gay. Watching the news over the days and weeks that followed I remember feeling an awful amount of sadness for his family, and I also remember feeling an enormous amount of fear.

The news stations were reporting that Matthew was beaten, which eventually resulted in his death, because he was a gay man. I live in one of the most conservative areas of the United States, so I just couldn't imagine what could happen if people found out I was possibly gay.

I watched the news programs each day to see if Matthew was going to live and recover. My sadness hit a new low when I learned that Matthew had passed away.

In the years since Matthew's death, we have learned more and more about him and also what happened that fateful night in October. There has been the induction of the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Bill, Moises Kaufman presented The Laramie Project to the world, Judy Shepard has become a resounding voice for gay rights and protections under the law.

We have also learned some about the life of Matthew Shepard. However, Judy Shepard's book proceeds to give us more insight into Matt's life. She was a fantastic mother to Matt and only wanted what was best for him. She tells us that she knew Matt might be gay before elementary school. Wow! What a very perceptive mother. That perception was instrumental to her relationship with Matt. I long for that kind of relationship with my mother.

I have only read a little more than half the book tonight (Again, I just bought the book about 3 hours ago.)
It is so incredible to be able to finally hear from Judy Shepard. One of her coping mechanisms in dealing with this tragedy is to not show her emotions in public. She has never, from the reports I have heard, seen The Laramie Project. She never wants to be in a situation where she has to deal with those feelings in public.

The book reads like I was sitting down and having a conversation with Judy Shepard about Matt. As soon as I get off of this blog, I am going back to reading it. I might just stay up late enough to finish it. I cannot put it down.

I am thankful for moms like Judy Shepard. I am grateful to her for her unconditional acceptance and love of her son for who he is and was. I am also inspired by her willingness to take this tragedy and use it to transform our world. It is because of people like Judy Shepard that we have hate crime legislation and we are working on other legislation designed to provide all persons with the equal rights and protection under the law.

If you get a chance, check out this book. You will learn so much more about Matt and Judy than you ever thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment