Guest starring on tonight's episode was Kerr Smith.
Kerr really rose to fame when he played Jack on Dawson's Creek. I remember my friends and I getting together every week during college to watch Dawson's Creek. Heck, I have episode of Dawson's Creek on DVD. Anyway, I was stuck on this darned show. Kerr's character, Jack came out as gay. I remember the episodes when Jack was forced to read his poem in class. That poem was about a dream he had of a guy. It leads to his classmates questioning his sexuality.
The poem is incredible and expresses so many thoughts I have had, and in some ways still do. Below is the poem.
Today
Today. Today was a day.
The world got smaller, darker.
I grew more afraid.
Not of what I am,
but of what I could be.
I loosen my collar to take a breath.
My eyes fade
And I see...Him.
The image of perfection.
His frame strong.
His lips smooth.
And I keep thinking,
What am I so afraid of?
I wish I could escape the pain,
but these thoughts invade my head.
Bound to my memory,
they're like shackles of guilt.
Oh, God, please set me free.
Free from this prison of isolation,
And let me love.
And let me be.
I will admit that I had a crush of Kerr Smith. I probably still do on some level. However, I feel like I owe him some debt of gratitude for taking on the role and bringing Jack to life. I remember watching Jack struggle throughout the show, and I kept asking my self what am I so afraid of in life?
Below a couple of my favorite scenes from Dawson's Creek...



No comments:
Post a Comment