As the president of our school system's union, I had the privilege of speaking to the employees on behalf of the union.
I have spent the past few weeks trying to figure out exactly what I wanted to say to all our system employees. I wanted to bring greetings, welcome them back, then I want to inspire and motivate them as we go into another challenging year in education. For those who really know me, they would tell you that I am never at a loss for words. Miraculously, I was at a complete loss of words...I had writer's block.
I spent the time leading up to this event racking my brain, trying to find the right words to say. I finally focused on one word that continually popped and stuck in my head...PRIDE. I decided to express my pride as a teacher, as a teacher in my school, as a teacher in my school system, and as a teacher in our union.
As the director introduced me, this huge lump gathered in my throat. Great...STAGEFRIGHT! All of the stage fright went away when the audience didn't just clap for me. They erupted into applause and whistling like I had never heard before for me. I felt like a rock star. I did not realize that so many people in our system really knew who I was. That gave the courage to get to that podium and begin my speech.
My speech last about 12 minutes. I really began to get passionate about the pride I was feeling. At one point I was talking about the faculty at my school. I called them the "most caring, compassionate, and loving people I know." I went on to say that "I call them my family." It was then that I just about lost it. I almost started to shed a tear. Yes, I got choked up.
I spoke about the pride I felt this year as we all stood together on the step of city hall to let our commissioners know education should be priority one and fully funded.
During the speech, there were periods where I had to stop because of the applause. Evidently I said something right during my time at the podium. When I finished there was such a great amount of applause. What I couldn't see, because of the lighting, is that I got a standing ovation. I did not learn this fact until after the opening day ceremonies were over.
I went into the lobby after the ceremony to see some of my friends who teach at other schools that I don't get to see very often. I was utterly shocked when everyone (even people I did not know) was coming up to me, thanking me for the work I do as the union president, and telling me how great of a job I did on my speech. It is my nature to be someone who is humbled by those kind of comments. I do not take compliments very well. (I am working on that, though.) I ended up blushing a lot today.
It was a great day. I have always loved Opening Day ceremonies. We have an absolute blast at every one of the Opening Days I have been a part of through the past 6 years. You could feel the pride, the excitement, and the love in the room today.
I will stop here. I just needed to share that with you guys today.
The video below is of the National Anthem. It is sung by two of our high school students (they are actually sisters) during our Opening Day ceremony. I get goosebumps each time I hear it!
That is so cool! I am glad that your speech went to well! It is also apparent that you are passionate about teaching which I appreciate. Good luck this school year! (We go back next week.)
ReplyDeleteCrowd surfing. You totally missed a golden opportunity.
ReplyDeleteI am glad, your got to experience that level of appreciation. Lord knows you deserve it!
ReplyDelete