August 29, 2010

The Power

This past week has been one filled with a myriad of emotions. Why stop now?

Earlier in the week I noticed one of my youth had posted a request from prayers on his Facebook account. It didn't say much more than just "Prayers, prayers, prayers needed." I have always been one to keep an eye on the youth to which I serve. I knew something was wrong in the life of said youth, and I decided I needed to watch him to make sure he was okay.

On Wednesday night I noticed that there was a very sad message from JM (the youth) saying he had just been to see his friend, Bradley, in the hospital. He also mentioned that he was glad he was able to tell Bradley goodbye. I was perplexed, but I knew something was horribly wrong with Bradley. I did a bit of snooping around to find out.

I went searching for information about Bradley, and what I learned broke my heart. For starters, I don't know Bradley, personally. I only know what I have read about him. I was able to find Bradley on www.caringbridge.com, and that gave me all the information I needed to see what had happened.

In the summer of 2008, Bradley (then 15) was diagnosed with stage IV Ewing's Sarcoma. It is a tumor located on his pelvis. Yes, it is cancer! He fought long and hard to beat this, and in March of 2010, he was diagnosed as being in remission. Sadly, in April of 2010, the sarcoma had come back with a vengeance.

Since April, Bradley has been fighting hard to beat it again. He was able to go to his junior prom. He was granted a trip to Hawaii for him and his family by the Make-a-Wish Foundation. He has been a witness for God to so many kids.

I spent several hours the other night reading all 29 pages of Bradley's Caring Bridge journal. His mother is such an amazing woman. She is extremely strong, as most mothers are when in times of crisis. I learned just how amazing this now 17 year old is. He is a Christian, and a strong witness to all. He has helped lead hundreds to Christ over these two years of illness. There have been a number of prayer vigils, candlelight vigils, prayer events around the school flagpole, etc.

The greatest thing I noticed about Bradley is the amount of people who love and are praying for him. He seems to be a very humble young man, who knew he was called to be a Youth Minister. Even at such a young age, his a minister to every youth that crosses his path...truly amazing.

This week has been a very rough one for Bradley. Hospice has been called in to help with pain management. Looks like Bradley is going to lose his battle against this sarcoma. Hundreds of kids are flocking to the hospital and filling waiting rooms to show their support for Bradley. He will take the time to talk with each visitor when he is feeling strong enough. Each day is seen as a gift by him, his mother, and his family and friends.  

I know so many of the visitors to Bradley's bedside are there to say their goodbyes to him. I can't imagine the feeling of telling someone you love goodbye for the last time...especially while they are still alive. It feels heartbreaking!

Like so many others, I am continually praying for this remarkable young man, and for all of those affected by him in some way. I don't normally ask this, but I am asking all who pray to say a special one for Bradley.

I felt the need to post this as well. Below is a video of this week's football game at his high school. Students painted "We Love You Bradley" in their bodies, and included bible verses on their back. Also, hundreds of students, parents, and faculty held a candlelight vigil for Bradley after the ballgame. Just watching this video gives me chills.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!

    I know Bradley can feel all that love being sent his way.

    He's sure to be smiling down on this, Joey!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete