I am always looking for little things to make learning more exciting and fun for my students. Any of my former students will tell you that I work very hard to keep class from being dull. This includes standing on desks, dancing and singing around the room, showing up to class in costume, etc. Hey, I have more fun that my kids do most of the time.
We have been studying mapping skills this past week. I was looking for videos on latitude and longitude (I know it's very exciting!) when I stumbled across some of Animaniac videos. I was in Heaven! The Animaniacs (Yakko, Wakko, and Dot) always had some of the best educational songs around at the time. Who knew that while I was singing along as a kid that I was actually learning something? Those sneaky rascals!
For the record...Yes, 6th graders LOVE these videos of the Animaniacs. They are still kids, after all.
I'm surprised the kids of today still know who the animaniacs are... mine still surprised me last year not knowing the Macarena or who Barney was.
ReplyDeleteOMG and don't tell me that they know the words to any of these???
ReplyDeleteOMG I remember these!!!!
ReplyDeleteMy personal favorite is "Histeria!" I don't suppose you use that in your classes? Here's a couple of links:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ENxbnMiqHc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ENxbnMiqHc
(by no means the best, but give a good feel for the show)
My mom and I used to watch them all the time, back when it was still shown on Saturday mornings. Oh, how we loved that show.
ReplyDelete@Mikey - my kids have NO idea who the Animaniacs are. They also don't know the Smurfs or Fraggle Rock. It's depressing!
ReplyDelete@Micky - the kids are dying to hear the nations of the world song. A couple of the kids can recite some of it. Is hilarious. Of course, their favorite countries are Djibouti and Dahomey. No surprise there!
@GMB - "Histeria" is hilarious. Definitely something I probably can't show in my classroom. I enjoyed them!
Animaniacs came out in the early 90's, correct? So I'm not surprised your class never heard of them.
ReplyDeleteThis series was out just when I started high school!
Notice how good the animation was back then. Real, hand-drawn characters. Not this flat, computer generated crap we're seeing nowadays!
Oh how I wish you could've been my grade school teacher, Joey! (I know that's not possible timewise but I can dream, can't I!)
-Dean