August 12, 2010

Tired of Ignorance and Hate

Click HERE for the article.

I have some serious issues with those who are continually protesting the building of this mosque in Murfreesboro.

As I have read and done some research on this mosque, I have learned that the only reason the Muslim community in Murfreesboro is wanting to build is because they have outgrown their current location.

They are not trying to convert anyone to Islam.

They are not building some terrorist training center in the center of Tennessee.  (See the picture on the right.)

Simply put, this protest is being fostered by sheer ignorance, fear, discrimination, and hate.

As a teacher of ancient cultures, I teach my students about the origins and basic beliefs of Islam. I teach my students in order that they may better understand the religious beliefs of others unlike themselves. I teach so that my students will accept others who may have different beliefs and cultures. Again, I TEACH SO THAT MY STUDENTS WILL LEARN ACCEPTANCE OF ALL MANKIND!

Through my studies of the origins and basic beliefs of Islam, I can tell you that those who truly practice it are very peaceful. Every practicing Muslim I know, personally, are some of the nicest and caring people I know.

This past year I had the opportunity to teach a student in my class who is a practicing Muslim. Her family is originally from Jordan. During our studies of the world religions, she chose to share about her life as a Muslim. I was so proud to sit in the back of the classroom as she stood up and shared her story. The initial looks of surprise from my students were priceless. They had no idea that their fellow student and friend was Muslim. As she continued to share her story, I was inspired. Our students learned more in that day than I could have taught them in a week. Their outlook on Islam and those who practice it changed within a matter of minutes. I shared this with her father...by the way, one of the nicest gentlemen I have met. He beamed with pride and joy for his daughter's bravery and willingness to share.

I have to say that I am ashamed by my fellow citizens in this state who go to extremes to promote their views of ignorance, fear, and hate. I whole-heartedly wish that my fellow citizens would take a lesson from my students.

Why can't we all just get along?

As we say in the Pledge of Allegiance, "One nation, under God." Yes, those who practice Islam believe in the same God as the Christians and Jews. I doubt those protesting know that!

I know this is a departure from normal posts on life, but I read this article and got pretty heated!

5 comments:

  1. can we go protest the protesters? I am so angered by this, and frustrated that I can't really do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you. I would love nothing more than to go protest the protesters with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does not surprise me... people... geez

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's real education! I wish there were more teachers like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A resounding amen. It's a shame more people do things like this based on assumptions of what they think something means rather than for what they actually are.

    ReplyDelete