I was speaking my best friend, Jen, today. I have not had the chance to visit with her all summer since I have been traveling like a madman. We talk every week, but I miss seeing her and getting the chance to hug her.
In the middle of the conversation I posed a question to Jen. I said, "Do you realize that you are getting married in only 41 days?" After a second of silence (I am positive she was counting or doing some math in her head. She is so much like me in that respect.) she had this laugh I have not heard in a while. It was this giddy, school-girl type of laugh. She told me that she is doing nothing but getting more and more excited.
This simply warmed my heart. Jen has had an extremely difficult time in her relationships with guys. Just last year she and I were talking about getting married. We talked about her wishes to get married or not, and we discussed if I would ever be able to legally get married in our bible-belt state. We won't go down that road now.
Jen told me that she doubted she would ever get married. Then, a month later, Jen and I went to a Labor Day event called Boomsday. That is when she also brought along Chris. They were just "hanging out." This would be their first date, and I would be the third-party. I suppose I was the chaperone. LOL. As we all sat out under the night sky, waiting for the fireworks show (literally) to begin, I just listened to the conversation between Chris and Jen. I could tell that Chris was smitten with Jen. I knew there was something there.
Fast forward to 11 months later, and we are all at this point. Jen and Chris are planning their wedding. Chris is moving from Florida up to North Carolina this month. Jen is moving out some furniture from her condo to make room for some of Chris' stuff. It is all a reality I never thought would come true.
Jen is truly happy, and I believe it is the first time in her life she has been this happy. I cannot explain it. He demeanor has completely changed over the past year. Her stress level seems to be way down. She smiles more now that I have ever seen her smile, and we have known each other for 21 years now. (Wow, that makes us sound old.) She has even given thought to having kids. Please believe me when I tell you that is something I never would have imagined her even considering. She is in such a good place now.
I can't wait to get to Florida next month for their wedding on the beach. It will be beautiful.
*************************************
I also wanted to take a moment and say happy anniversary to MH and MNJ.
I hope the two of you had an absolute blast in Nash-Vegas.
Thank you both for taking me in and making me a friend in your lives. Love you guys!
Thanks, love. It was definitely a weekend for the books. Loved every single minute of it!
ReplyDeleteGo Jen!
ReplyDelete-Dean