July 12, 2010

A Single Man

No, I am not talking about ME...sorry to let you down!

Tonight I had the opportunity to watch the film "A Single Man." It stars Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Nicholas Hoult, and Matthew Goode. It is a story that centers on an English professor (Firth) who, after the sudden death of his parter of 16 years (Goode), tries to go about his typical day.

 

I enjoyed the film, but I feel extremely conflicted by it. I got very wrapped up in the story of Colin Firth's character. At the same time, I despised the ending. I was enjoying the direction the film was taking, but then the screenwriters and director decide to take a sharp turn in the plot and end the film. Ugh! I felt the ending was unfair to Colin Firth's character, but I also understand the irony behind it. It was just not the ending I would have chosen for the film. 

I am aware that the above rant-and-rave session was somewhat vague in its description. I decided not to divulge the specifics of the film. However, if you saw the film you would know exactly what has upset me in this film. 

The film has some truly wonderful, and sometimes heartwarming scenes. 



Has anyone else, besides me, seen this movie? I would love to hear your thoughts! 

2 comments:

  1. I love that movie, and I love the ending.

    I'm reticent to discuss it, because I don't want to spoil anyone's viewing of it.

    But I did love the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not see this movie yet, Joey, so don't ruin the ending for me!!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete