I have the privilege of working for one of the top 5 middle schools in the state. On top of that, we are fortunate to work in a beautiful building.
For the record, the school is 10 years old, but you would never know it. We are constantly getting comments that it looks like a brand new school. That's right...we take great pride in our school.
While I was in my classroom, I kept extremely busy. The thoughts of the vandalism did not cross my mind. When I left the school, I decided to make the drive around the school so I could see the rest of the vandalism. What I say on the backside of the building made my stomach turn. The vandals decided to spray paint obscenities and draw pictures on the wall. As strange as it sounds, I actually broke down for a second. Yes, I shed tears.
Why would someone want to destroy a school? Who would do such a thing?
It is more that just a building. ITMS (school's initials) has been my home for 7 years. I have seen thousands of students pass through these doors. I have seen hundreds of students pass through my classroom. Our lives have become forever intertwined...good or bad. The fact that someone has such disrespect for our school is a personal attack on everyone there who gives their lives to teach our kids.
I have moved from sadness to extreme anger!
My new question is "Why hasn't the city commission worked to put cameras in our school? Do they not care for the safety of our schools and those who are in it?"
We are in a very unique situation. Our city actually owns and is supposed to maintain all our school buildings and grounds. Sadly, we have a city commission that does not seem to care about our schools. It is time that they learn of what has happened at our school (this is not the first time we have been vandalized), and they need to know we can no longer wait to have these cameras installed. It must be done NOW!!!

It happens at even the best schools. :(
ReplyDeleteWhen some people are hurt they seek revenge.
ReplyDeleteFor some people the evidence of others' success (or wealth) is too much.
And, of course, for some the effect of too much drink or drugs can make them anti-social.
I wonder what the cause was of your vandalism? Isn't that what people should be concentrating on?
Micky -
ReplyDeleteYou are right...the focus should be on what is causing the vandalism. I actually have the answer (or some sort of one, anyway).
A witness came forward today, and we know the culprit of the last vandalism is a pair of former students who live across the street from the school. One boy had to go to summer school two years in a row, was in lunch detention or in-school suspension more times than I can count, and was tardy over 150 days in two years...and he lives across the street! The other boy was expelled from school this year when he was found to have drugs in his possession. I have seen both boys skateboarding around the school weekly, and they have been told they cannot do it anyway.
Both boys have a history of vandalism, and have both been put on probation for it. Looks like the judge just might revoke their probation in light of this.
Sadly, I hold the parents accountable for these boys actions. These parents just don't care, and that is the most depressing part of all this. The parents should be cited for not caring for their kids. Ugh!
That sucks bro!
ReplyDelete