I turned the television to one of the movie channels and landed on Nicholas Nickelby. It is the film adaptation of the famous Charles Dickens' book of the same name. I am a huge fan of Charles Dickens and have seen this movie before. In fact, I own the DVD. I had not seen this movie in about 2-3 years. So I settle in to watch it.
One of the aspects of the movie that really got me thinking was the friendship between Nicholas and Smike. Their friendship began in school. At some point, Nicholas defends Smike when he is being beaten by the school's headmaster. Their friendship only moves on from here.
Smike becomes Nicholas' traveling companion as he moves into adulthood. Basically, Nicholas looks after Smike, and vice versa.
As some point in the movie, Nicholas returns home to defend his sister's honor and to care for his family. Smike becomes a part of the Nickelby family. Turns out that Smike become extremely ill, and is instructed to be moved out of the city for his health. It is revealed that Smike will die from his illness. At this revelation, Nicholas breaks down at the thought of losing his lifelong friend. The pain that pours out of Nicholas really got to me. (No I did not cry, but it was close!)
Near the end of the movie, Nicholas and Smike are lying outside in a field just talking. Smike revealed that it was at this point in his life that he is truly happy for the first time in his life. It was just then that Nicholas takes a hold of Smike's hand, and Smike dies. Again, the tears are flowing from Nicholas.
The point of this post is not to tell you the story of Nicholas Nickelby and his friendship with Smike. In fact, I am not going to tell you anymore about the book. If you want to know more, pick up a book! (or the DVD for those who don't care to read it) I was feeling a longing for the kind of friendship that Nicholas and Smike had.
Sure, there are people in my life that I call my friends. However, there are so few people in my life that I can say could bring me to tears. These are the people who know everything about me and still love me just the same. These are the friends that I would die for in order to spare them even just one ounce of pain.
This type of friend is so rare, yet so special that words could not describe them or the friendship. It is more than just a simple friendship between two people...it is becoming one in each other's life. You become a member of each other's family. There is a love that is unconditional.
Do you have those friendships? If you can truly answer yes...you are fortunate beyond your wildest dreams.
I can say that I have those friendships, but they are unimaginably scarce. I love these friendships, and I would not trade them for all the money in this world.
However, the part that is sucking today is that I miss these friends. Today finds me in a state of severe loneliness. There is a sadness today. I fiercely want to pick up the phone, call these friends, drive to wherever they may be, and just be around them.
Yes, I am being a sap today! I am allowed that every now and then.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part of the loneliness is the fact that I have spent most of the week working with the most incredible high schoolers from across the state, and now I am sitting in the silence of my house.
Out!


Lucky, indeed, is the individual who has such friends. I have been fortunate to have more than my share. I have one friend who I can tell practically anything and who knows practically everything about me. And vice versa. And I have a number of other friends (and two brothers) who I know I can count on no matter what.
ReplyDeleteI have also remained close to the buddies I had in high school, and I have always been grateful for them, realizing how unique they are. I went through what can only be described as pure hell a few years ago. Hell of my own making where the opportunity to simply ignore what was happening and pretend they didn't know me would have been wiser and certainly more convenient. But each of these old friends called to check on me - without exception.
How lucky I am. Thanks for making me think about it and realize it once again.
Charlie Hunnam is SO gorgeous... what a shame about his acting!
ReplyDeleteI often think about this. I am glad to say I have ONE friend like this. You pointed out that friends like this are scarce for you.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I could handle more than one. I have my close friends sure but this one friend is so much more than that and exalted above family to me.
I think you are too bust focusing on what you don't have and not appreciating what you do.
Ian -
ReplyDeleteDon't get me wrong...I am more than appreciative for the incredible friends I do have. I am thankful everyday for each of them.
I think today was just a day where I missed everyone. Hey, I'm only human.
Are you gearing up for the move back?
Joey!
ReplyDeleteYou big sap!! Teasing!
I have only one friendship like that but it is incredibly scarce at times too.
-Dean