As the conversation went on about his extended stay out in Las Vegas (darned him), he proceeded to tell me he had been talking with my brother about plans for the future. I figured he was talking about selling his current house and finding a smaller house for him and my brother. Maybe he was talking about making vacation plans. Who knew he was talking about plans if he were to pass away?
I never did like these types of talks with my dad. I have lived with my father in my life for 33 years, and I cannot imagine my life without him here in it. My family members that have passed have set a nice precedence for longevity. Everyone seems to live into their seventies, eighties, and a few in their nineties. I am certainly hoping the same hold true for my dad. Realistically, he is 61. If he lives to the age my grandparents lived to be, then he will make it into his mid- to late seventies. That would mean only about 15 more years with my father in my life. Ugh, now I am depressing myself!
My dad has always been a super father. I could not have asked for a more caring and compassionate dad. There is no man that I respect more than him. He is my true hero in life. Dad’s only concern in life has been the welfare of his kids. So it comes as no surprise that he continues to think about what will happen to his kids once he has passed away.
I proceeded to let my dad tell me his plans for when he passes. The short-and-sweet version is that my brother would get to keep dad’s house (which is what needs to happen for my brother) and I am to get dad’s brand new Harley Davidson. I cracked up at him telling my brother to make sure I get the Harley Davidson.
On a side note, being the eldest child, I am the one who will be making all medical and financial decisions for my dad when the need arises. I already have power of attorney over his medical needs and finances. I have had that since I was 18. Dad and I have had the medical discussions since I was young. I know my father does not want to be put on life support and that he wants to be cremated. I have always told him “Not to worry…I will be sure to pull the plug and strike the match.” (We are a sick family, and I like it that way!)

Yes - your Dad as part of your life and it's been forever.
ReplyDeleteBut do spend a moment, just now and then, and accept his inevitable mortality. It may be through accident or serious illness - we don't all get the chance to live out our natural lives.
You're lucky to have him and lucky that he has been, and is being, so supportive in his own way.
Try to enjoy. This is a time-limited experience, whether you chose to think that or not.
Joey!
ReplyDeleteIt's a somber discussion but probably a necessary one.
I think your dad wants to make his passing as easy as possible on the whole family. It's his way of taking care of things while he's still able to.
Sounds like a true dad to me!
-Dean
P.S.: May he live to be 212!