October 6, 2010

Visiting Sam

This afternoon, after leaving work, I had several errands to run (bank, Wal-Mart, etc). After running those errands, I made my way to a part of town we call the Tree Streets. It is the more beautiful and historic part of our city. All these streets are lined with trees as far as the eye can see. I love it there. Everyone is always so friendly, and it is very peaceful there.

Just a bit of history for our fine city...Al Capone used to live in the Tree Streets.



What was so important for me to make the trip into the Tree Streets? I went there to visit my student, Sam, who lost his father earlier this week to leukemia. It took me a few trips around the block to find the right house. The house was sitting back off the street, and the foliage was covering the house number. All I can say about the house is WOW! I love historic houses. This was a gorgeous house...all of the hardwood was original, and little was remodeled from its original splendor. I was greeted at the front door by Sam's grandmother. She was quite petite and had this old-world charm about her. It was evident she was not from our area. Next I got to meet Sam's grandfather who proceeded to tell me he had heard all about me since last year. I always laugh when I am told that little fact. I never know what kids are telling their family members.

Sam came up from his room in the basement. He looked surprised to see his former teacher in his house. He had this huge grin across his face. I miss this kid! We talked for several minutes about anything and everything. I asked him how he was holding up since his father's passing. Sam just smiled and said he was okay. He is such a trooper! I proceeded to ask him about his grades this year...hey, I'm a teacher! It's always on my mind. He told me he will make the AB Honor Roll this quarter. I am very proud of this kid. His grandparents thanked me and my colleagues for helping Sam come so far since last year.

Sam's grandmother brought me a picture of Sam's dad when he was a kid. It was remarkable. Sam looks just like his dad as a child...they even had the same shaggy long-blonde hair. It was uncanny. I asked if their personalities were similar, and the grandparents just chuckled and agreed. They see a lot of Sam's dad in him.

I decided not to stay too long. I did not want to intrude. I left two cards with the family. One was specifically for Sam. All of his current and former teachers signed it with notes of support. I admit that I read it before sealing it. It made me cry a bit. There is so much love for this kid and his family. The second card was for his aunt Lori. She is the one who moved in with her parents (Sam's grandparents) to help take care of Sam and his sister. She is responsible for so much of Sam's progression and for keeping this family together. She is a saint in my book! Lori also works for the school system, and she always brightens my day when I see her at my school. I love her! In her card I left a gift card to help with meals and whatever else the family may need during these rough times.

Friday is the memorial service for Sam's dad. It will be at the family home. I am supposed to be in Nashville this weekend for a meeting, but I am going to cancel my trip. I feel I need to be here to show support for this family.

It is amazing how, as teachers, we become so attached and intertwined with the families of our students. Just one of the many benefits of teaching in a smaller city.

2 comments: