October 18, 2010

Questions for Me

Thanks to those who left me a few questions on Formspring. Since I am taking a break from letters I am writing to parents, I thought I would take a moment to answer a few.

What do you like to do during the weekend? Hang out with friends? 


Interesting question to ask for I rarely have a weekend free during the school year. (Yes, I am CONSTANTLY getting scolded for not taking enough ME time in life.)

One weekends that I have free time, you will find me in several different places. If I am staying home for the weekend, I will go to the farmers market early on Saturday morning. I usually store up my supply of goat cheese, freshly grown fruits and vegetables, homemade breads, and Amish donuts. I know some people are thinking "Amish donuts?" Yes, they are incredible. They are made fresh right in front of you. The only drawback is that there is sometimes a one-hour wait in line to get them. They are THAT GOOD!

The rest of the day you might find me hiking on the Appalachian Trail or hiking to some of the beautiful waterfalls in the area. I love being out in nature. There is such a sense of peace when I am out on the trails. Usually I will go alone with my iPod, but I love having friends go with me.

I also enjoy going to the movies. I prefer drama and some comedies. Yes, I even enjoy the chick flicks! I have to be in the mood for a good action movie. If I am going to see a comedy, it cannot be something that I will leave afterward felling as though I had lost brain cells. I just cannot stand them!

What else? I also love volleyball, bicycling, playing frisbee, ultimate frisbee, going to the theatre, hanging out at one of the local bookstores, sitting with some friends at Starbucks, going to concerts, etc.

One of the places I love to visit with friends is Asheville, NC. It has such a diverse population. My friends and I love finding the best local restaurants, shopping in the downtown shops, going through the art galleries, etc. Asheville is one of Jenny and my favorite places to go. It is only best when Jenny is with me!

When I can get away, I run off to Greensboro, NC to visit with Jenny. She is in such a wonderful city with access to everything you could ever want. Every time I visit her, we do something totally different. I love it!

Did I mention that I love to DANCE? Well, let me be specific! I love country/western couples dancing and line dancing. I have been doing that since I was a kid. Sadly, there is NO place around here to do that. I have to go to a bigger city like Nashville or Knoxville to find a place to dance!

To address the question about hanging with friends, sadly, most of my best friends do not live near me. It is hard to get out to see them, too. The friends that I do have here are mostly in education. They also are mostly married and have kids. So, their lives are crazy with after-school activities, sports, dance classes, etc. More on that topic at a later date!

How many gay friends do you have that you hang out with on a regular basis?


Oh, that is an easy question...NONE!

Allow me a moment to explain before someone chews me out! I spent so many years in denial, in the closet, hiding who I was, etc. Even though I am no longer hiding who I am, I find that the majority of my friends are straight. There is no particular reason for that. It has just happened that way.

I do have a handful of gay friends in the area, but we rarely hang out.

Well, there you go as a start to the questions. Please, please, please...ask away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment