Today has been one very exciting day.
First, let me give you a bit of history leading up to today. Last spring I was elected as president of our school system's teacher union. Basically, I represent and speak for about 700 teachers in our district. It has been quite an interesting year and learning experience.
One of our biggest challenges this year is budget. Our school system has been preparing the budget for next year, and we had a $4.5 million shortfall. We were asked by our city commissioners to make cuts to try and balance the budget. Out leaders painstakingly cut close to $3 million from the budget. 13 positions were cut, and lots of wonderful programs were scaled back. We are left with a deficit of $1.4 million. Our city commissioners do not seem to want to increase our budget. They have not given the system an increase in over 7 years. That is unheard of. Their % of funding has been decreasing. CRAZY.
Anyway, the city commission is meeting this week to discuss the budget once again. It has become my job to help "rally the troops" in an effort to let our commissioners know we are not happy with their unwillingness to fund our system. I have arranged a gathering of concerned teachers, parents, students, etc to meet an hour before the city commission meeting this week.
The TV stations caught wind of this, and I received 5 phone calls this morning before lunch. One of the TV crews showed up at my school today to interview me about the gathering and to get my thoughts on the budget. When I learned they were coming today, I became a nervous wreck. All I kept thinking was "It's a good thing I wore a tie today...oh, crap, I am still wearing flip flops!"
Well, the interview went well. It showed up on the 5 o'clock and 6 o'clock news this evening. I was nowhere near a TV this evening to see it. Several of my friends texted and called me to tell me I did a wonderful job. I hope that the interview will convince more parents to get involved in their child's education and come to the gathering this week. Can't wait to see what tomorrow holds.
It is simple...I am tired of our city commissioners not doing anything. Time for them to PUT UP or SHUT UP. Actually, it is more of PUT UP before I work hard to shut you up. Did I mention I am also in charge of a political action committee in our city? I would love nothing more than to have a great reason to oust two of our city commissioners and mayor. Man, I love politics!
Off to bed. Another fun-filled day tomorrow.
- Joey
PS...If the news station posts the video online, I will try to move it over here.
No comments:
Post a Comment