Oh, the theme of my life! Sadly, that theme is taking a back seat for the summer.
For the past 12 years, I have spent my summers working at a camp for 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. I have spent a total of 60 weeks over those years as a volunteer. That's right...NO PAY! I go of my own goodwill and desire to be there with those kids. The camp is a phenomenal place to be. There is literally something for everyone there:
- Arts and Crafts
- Fossils
- Wildlife Center
- Weather forecasting
- Rifle Range
- Skeet Shooting
- Archery
- Canoeing
- Swimming
- Volleyball
- Basketball
- And so much more!!!
I have worked with over 18,000 students in those 60 weeks. Not many people can say they have affected that many lives in such a short amount of time. Working at the camp has also allowed me to remain a kid on some level.
Sadly, this year finds me unable to attend a single week of camp during the summer months. My duties as president of the teachers' union require me to be here for the time being. I have several meetings scheduled for the next two weeks (w/ principals, w/ the school board, w/ the city commission, etc). In addition, I will be doing a great deal of traveling this summer for the union on a local, state, and national level.
It looks like my "summer vacation" will be a very busy one. My only regret is not being able to go to camp. On so many levels, I feel like I am abandoning my kids for the summer. I have not had this feeling in quite a while. I know life will go on, and the camp will continue. I just wish I could be there to be a part of it.
This is all part of growing up, I suppose. It sucks!
Aaaaw!!! I know that's such a big part of your life!!!
ReplyDeleteAwwwhhh Man that sucks!
ReplyDeleteGrowing up sucks
ReplyDeleteDon't do it.
Thanks, guys for the support. It has been a difficult decision...one that I did not want to make, but I know it was the right one to make.
ReplyDeleteI will still be able to attend on of the state youth events that I absolutely love. It is one of the two best times of the year in working with this organization. It is not a consolation, but it is something to look forward to in July.