December 14, 2010

I Was Put on This Earth

Last night I read the latest post from Joe over at My Complicated Life in Provo and it struck a certain nerve within me. Seems that a close friend of Joe’s is being shunned and secluded from family events at the family home simply because he is gay.

I can’t say that I identify with this dilemma. I have been blessed to have a family that has been nothing but supportive my entire life. I cannot even begin to imagine what it would be like if my family decided that I was no longer allowed to come to family events, being shunned for who I am, and (what is worse in my eyes) not being allowed to see my beautiful nieces and nephews.

What is so frightening is that I understand the intolerance, the fear, and the state of mind of these family members. I grew up in a very Southern Baptist family. So much of the doctrine is laid into our psyche very early in life. To question it is a no-no. I was always worried that if my family knew about me that I would be shunned. Amazingly, I have not experienced that yet in my family.

I sat here last night trying to come up with some words of advice for Joe and his friend. I also looked for a song to offer support. I searched high and low. I finally found a song that amazed me.

So, I offer up this song to Joe and his friend going through such a rough time.

“As I Am”

Forgive me
I didn’t realize till now
That our cold, self-righteous words
Could hurt you so.

I was taught very young
By those who came before me
To fear and condemn
The things I don’t know.

There is fear in the hearts of those who would change you
Fear of the light that shines from you
They don’t know that light was designed by God
Who gave it a brilliant and beautiful hue

And to those who would change you or send you away
You must proudly stand your ground and say

I was put on this Earth as I am
I was put here to fill the world with magic
I know all the love with which I was born
Can conquer your taunting
Can conquer your scorn

I was put on this Earth as I am
I was born with my own special blessing
I’ll let them shine and not give a damn
I was put on this Earth…as I am.

There is envy in those who recklessly judge you
Wishing their hearts could love like yours
They don’t understand they can reach within
And find all the love forgiveness restores

And to those who condemn you with fury and shame
You must strongly plant your feet and proclaim

I was put on this Earth as I am
I was put here to live as His creation
And I know I am loved in virtue and sin
I’m calm and content within our own skin

I was put on this Earth as I am
I was born with my own special blessings
I’ll let them shine and not give a damn
I was put on this Earth…as I am.

2 comments:

  1. People don't seem to understand the purpose of families, or relationships in general. Families aren't here to make us happy and comfortable. We are put in families to learn lessons that we wouldn't endure in less-binding relationships. Yeah, I can understand being uncomfortable with some behaviors in my home, but it is unthinkable to shun someone completely from your life. But not everyone is as enlightened and wise as I am.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joey - This is why I love you!

    I really can't relate to this dilemma as my family has always been pretty easy going. I can't imagine being shunned for my sexual preference, it doesn't mean that much!

    ReplyDelete