Tomorrow is Easter! It is the time each year that Christians celebrate the resurrection of Christ.
It should be clear by now that I live in the southeastern part of the United States. More specifically, I live in the buckle of the Bible Belt! As part of each Easter, some of my family would gather at church, then we would all meet for Easter dinner. (My family will not turn down an Easter dinner, especially if it were my grandmother and Aunt Sue cooking!)
The other day at work, one of my colleagues (and closest friends) asked me what my plans were for Easter Sunday. My response...nothing!
It is absolutely true! This weekend my dad is on the other side of the country for work. My Aunt Sue will be in another state visiting her in-laws. My brother will be working. Where does that leave me...sitting here all alone.
I am determined not to wallow in self-pity. I have much to be thankful for in my life. However, it is difficult to be away from your family during holiday celebrations. Heck, I get depressed when I am not around family and friends on my birthday. In their defense, I do tend to play down the desire for any type of celebration on my birthday. It is really because I don't want to inconvenience anyone. In truth, it sucks to be alone during your birthday and holidays.
Okay, getting back on track!
I really do have a lot to be thankful for in my life. I still have my two incredible parents in my life. Yes, they are divorced, and have been for 28+ years. However, they are both in places in life where they couldn't be happier. That makes me smile. I love them so! I have a truly wonderful career and path in life. I work hard to insure my students are given every opportunity possible. I have amazing friends who I know love me and will be there if I ever need anything.
So, this Easter I choose to celebrate the resurrection of Chris and to be thankful for all that has been provided for me in this life.
Today many of my friends posted this version of Carrie Underwood singing "How Great Thou Art." This song has a special meaning in my life. My paternal grandmother loved this song. As I was growing up she would have me play this song for her on the organ (yes, she had an organ in her house!). I remember her tearing up when she would hear this song. This was one of her two favorite gospel songs of all time. The other is "Amazing Grace." Carrie does an uh-mazing job with this song. I know my grandmother was watching. I get chills just hearing this!
Happy Easter, Joey!
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Grant
gay-and-away.blogspot.com
Happy Easter, buddy!
ReplyDeleteJoey
ReplyDeleteI dont think i have left a comment before but i hope your easter went well. As i read your profile description i note we have few thngs in common whether its our politics, music, or even our occupations but its the things we have in common that draws me to read these blogs.
Our families seperate as we get older and i also find myself alone on a holiday or occasion. Its not how would i would have chosen it but its how i have been forced to live
I hope you had a peaceful easter. take care and be safe
bob
I hope you had a good easter despite break in tradition.
ReplyDelete