Today was a rough day at school.
I have a student named Chris who is an awesome child. He is always such a happy kid, always smiling and cracking jokes. I definitely enjoy having him on our team. Today was very uncharacteristic of Chris. He came into class and didn't say a word. I noticed that he was sitting quietly at his seat for the majority of the period. (Again, not like him at all!) When we began our partner work he chose to work alone. It was obvious that something was wrong...painfully obvious!
I took a moment to sit at my desk and check my school email. I call Chris over to my desk and quietly ask him if he was okay. I told him I noticed that something was obviously bothering him. He hung his head and said he did not want to talk about it. I assured him that was okay, but I would be here if he decided he needed to talk. At that point Chris began to cry. I was shocked by this. I led him to the hall so the other students would see him crying.
When we got to the hall, Chris turns to hug me and is sobbing uncontrollably. Something was terribly wrong with Chris. He finally tells me that his parents were getting a divorce. They only told him last night. I just stood there for a moment while Chris just cried. I told him that I will be here for him if he needs to talk about this. I let him know that my parents divorced when I was 5, so I definitely know what he might be going through.
I know that divorce happens more and more each day. It is not easy for anyone, but it is substantially worse on kids. I feel for these kids!

I'm sure I will experience moments like this in my career...
ReplyDelete