April 10, 2011

Where's My Duct Tape?

Sometimes I am ashamed by the legislators in the state of Tennessee. There, I said it! 

I just read a bill that will go to the Senate Education Committee this week that, frankly, offends me. There is a bill (SB049), referred to as the "Don't Say Gay" bill, that would not allow anyone in elementary or middle schools to provide "any instruction or material that discusses other sexual orientation other than heterosexuality."

Essentially, that means that we cannot even discuss the meaning of the word GAY. 

What the heck is going on here? I realize that I live in a very conservative state in the Bible Belt of the United States. I realize that the majority of people in this state may have a negative view of homosexuality.

As a teacher I have a real issue with this. It has become apparently clear that bullying is consistently on the rise in this country. One of the biggest bullying scenarios happening in schools today is kids being picked on because of their perceived sexual orientation. If this bill pases, we, as educators, will be unable to deal with any matters that deal with sexual orientation in elementary or middle school.

For example, our guidance counselors taught a lesson on bullying just a few months ago. As part of their lesson, they addressed the phrase "That's so gay." It really is something our kids are saying. Our counselors showed the commercials below.



Under this proposed law, even using that material would be against the law. We will not be able to discuss or teach about situations that ARE happening everyday in our elementary and middle schools. 

The proposed law says that particular subjects (such as homosexuality) "are best explained and discussed in the home." The only problem with that is some subjects will never be discussed or explained in the home. As a teacher, I present material in a non-biased and non-judgmental manner. 

An educated population is far more productive and accepting than an uneducated one...just saying! 


1 comment:

  1. It just goes to show, how of touch the senate is when presenting legislation like this. If I were you I would be ashamed of my local government.

    ReplyDelete