May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

My Beautiful Mother
I did not get to see my mother today. It is a little sad that I could not meet up with her to spend quality mother-son time. However, I was able to get her on the phone, and we chatted for some time. That will have to do for now.

My relationship with my mother is quite unique to any of my friends. Most of my friends have had their mother in their lives since they were born. I did not have that luxury. My parents divorced when I was 5, and my dad won custody of us. I basically did not have a relationship with my mother from age 5 to age 18. There was so much that I feel I missed not having my mom around.

She and I now have a wonderful relationship. I am so much like my mother. There is this running joke in my family that I am my mother's child, and my brother (Jason) is my father's child. We are each mirror personalities of each parent. I love that!

Even though I did not have my mother in my life for 13 years, I was surrounded with wonderful women who showed me love. My paternal grandmother was the woman I credit with helping my dad raise me. I love and miss her so much!

Aunt Sue and my Dad
The woman in charge of the family now is my Aunt Sue. She is my dad's only sister. She has earned the official title of "The Warden." No one in the family (except me...the rebel!) does anything without consulting the Warden. Sue never was able to have kids, so she always treated her nieces and nephews like her own. We all talk to her on a weekly basis. I admit that I talk to her several times a week. She is such a strong woman, which she definitely got from her mother!

So, Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful women in this world who are mothers or take mothering roles for others. I love all the women in my life, and I would not trade a one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment