March 24, 2011

Dude, Where's My Car...No, Really!

Greetings from Nashville!

I have been in Nashville for a few days to visit with some legislators concerning the awful legislation around education. (This is my other job when I am not teaching my students...I have become a lobbyist!) While here in Nashville, I also have taken in some sights, sampled some of the local restaurants, and gone to a show!

Tonight, I had a ticket to see the Broadway musical In the Heights. I got to downtown around 5:30 so I could go have dinner. I parked my car just down the street from the Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC) and decided to walk to dinner. I went to a restaurant called Demos. It is one of my favorite places to eat when I visit here. Tonight I dined on blackened chicken pasta. It was phenomenal! SOOOOOOOO GOOD!

Once I left Demos, I made my way up several blocks to TPAC. I decided to text my friend Mary, who happens to work at TPAC. She met me in the lobby for a few minutes. She was about to head home for the night. I just caught her. It was good to see her. At 7:30, the curtain went up on In the Heights. I was blown away by the music. A lot of the music had a Latin flavor to it, which is unlike anything I have ever seen on Broadway. The story line had a great flow to it as well. What really got me, beyond the music, was the dancing. These actors could really "break it down." All the while I was jealous and found myself wanting to be down there with them moving and grooving...if only!

I cannot wait to see this show again!


Now to the crazy part of my night. I was walking down the street to my car, or so I thought. I could not find my car. I did not see it near the corner of the street where I left it earlier. Now, my vehicle is a yellow Pontiac Aztek...it is not hard to find! I went back into the TPAC to ask the security guards for help. They gave me the phone number to the towing service. I called them, but they did not have my car. I called the Metro Nashville Impound lot, but they did not have my car either. I was directed to call one more towing service, but again they did not have my car. At this point I was shaking. I was scared, confused, mad, etc.


The security guard gave me the number to the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department so that I could report my car stolen. Before I called, the guard was asking me a series of questions about my car. He asked where did I park exactly? Did I park in between the white lines? (Really, I am over 30...I know how to drive and where to park!) He was a very calm individual, and I needed that.

He said that it was highly unusual for a car parked so close to a major street corner to be stolen in broad daylight. That got me to thinking, and I decided to go look one more time at the street corner to make sure I wasn't completely crazy. As I got back outside and started looking, I kept looking down to the next block. What do I see? My beautiful yellow vehicle. I just about fell to the ground. I felt like an idiot! All of this emotion, panic, anger, and shaking was in vane. I had nothing else to do but laugh and thank the security guard for his help.

I suppose I am getting a bit forgetful in my "advanced age."

Tomorrow I will make the 5 hour drive back home. I have loved being in Nashville. It makes me want to move here! For now, I am off to bed...GOOD NIGHT, FRIENDS!

1 comment:

  1. So I like to imagine what kind of cars people might drive. I'm never very accurate though. I mean, I had you pegged for a 1985 Saab (which in my book is VERY classy). I don't know why. Because especially thinking about you as a teacher and really thinking about what I know about you, I should have stuck with something less "skinny jean and fedora with slouchy linen button-up". I mean, you're a hot-bomb of a teacher and a lobbyist to boot. Ah, well. I mean, once I had this guy pegged for a Jaguar convertible and reality he drove a 1994 Honda Civic. So I'm usually wrong. But I think I enjoy surprising myself? Anyway. A bright yellow Pontiac Aztec. THAT was a surprise. But it makes so much sense. Rubber duckies are yellow. And you're a bright, cheery, sporty kind of chap. And an SUV. So. Anyway. I'm getting the really awkward feeling right now, the kind where I know I'm making the other person (and the rest of the group) extremely uncomfortable with whatever I'm saying, and even though I know everyone else is cringing, I keep talking because I'm vainly hoping that I might be able to recover the unrecoverable and I just keep going and making fragmented, run-on sentences that just bleed and bleed and eventually the rest of the group makes small excuses to excuse themselves from the conversation like they need more to drink (the ones who have cups full start chugging), they need to pee, etc. and the feeling in the room becomes like a paralyzed animal just frozen, occasionally twitching and itching to move. And that's when the host or hostess usually grabs me by the elbow and pretends they have a really interesting artifact in their kitchen that they want me to see, thereby hoping to rescue the individuals I just *captivated*.

    Have a party you need crashed? I'm awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete