September 28, 2011

I Must Be Insane!

Today I get email from my principal asking if I could be interested and willing to take on a student teacher in my classroom for the semester. I was quite shocked. Obviously, I wasn't expecting that to happen. Being the ever-so-cooperative teacher, I graciously accepted the challenge.

My principal came out and spoke with me while I was supervising the car line this afternoon. (One of my many fun responsibilities as a teacher...they put me in charge of managing the unending line of cars, too!) He wanted to talk with me about the student teacher. He told me she (aka the student teacher) was doing her first placement at one of our elementary schools, and she was getting rave reviews. That made me feel better and less nervous. He also told me he selected me since my kids test scores have been at the top for years, and he wanted this student teacher to experience a different style of teaching. Yes, my principal thinks I am a crazy teacher, but we get the job done on my hall! He also wanted to make sure I knew that even though I would not always be directly teaching my kids while the student teacher is in the room I will still be responsible for their success on benchmark and state testing. Yes, I know my name still goes on all those lovely reports, but I am not the least bit concerned. I would never let someone come in and not take care of my kids. I will be there making sure they are learning and retaining the curriculum while trying to help this student teacher experience every aspect of being a teacher.

As I say to my students...SWISS BOVINE (aka HOLY COW)!!!! This is turning out to be one crazy year in teaching. What more can be added to my plate without killing me?
- an insane new evaluation system across the state
- daily concerns and complaints from my teachers about the evaluation system
- continuous talks with state legislators about the new evaluation model
- being the peacekeeper within our schools
- president of the system's teachers' association
- press interviews
- constant meetings
- political action committee
- yearbook advisor
- did I mention I also teach 6th grade?

I refuse to stress about any of this. I will only do as much as I can handle. Not going to kill myself doing all this. It is my life, and I am happy with it most of the time. Perhaps one day I will learn to rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment