February 27, 2011

Today's Protest

Look out Wisconsin...here comes Tennessee's teachers!

Looks as though the Tennessee legislature is launching an all-out war on our public schools and public school teachers. There are now 28 pieces of "education reform" legislation in the house and senate, and not a one of them has to do with actually educating my kids!

This week has been quite an interesting week. I have spent this week on the front page of two newspapers, I have had three television interviews, and a variety of other interviews/news spots. No one told me two years ago that becoming president of our school system's education association would keep me in the spotlight or this busy! However, I am happy to step out there for my teachers and my students.

Around mid-week a private citizen here in our city launched a Facebook drive for a rally/protest to take place today. The purpose of the rally was to support our teachers. It was amazing. About 200-300 people showed up to line the street in support of teachers. I was flabbergasted by the outpouring of support from the community. As people drove by, they would slow down and honk their horns in support. Even our superintendent made the drive by a few times, slowed to parade speed, and honked. It is nice to know he supports us!

After I got home I discovered I got my first sunburn of the year.

All-in-all, it was a great day! I cannot wait to get to Nashville next Saturday for the protest rally. It will be one major undertaking. Until then, see below for a few pictures I snapped during the rally.










4 comments:

  1. Scary times! Glad to hear you guys are mobilizing against the attack on teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. even if you have a history in demonstrating, and it's more peacefull that what we are witnessing in the arab world,I cannot not think that we remembered the world that people can change everything even what would be felt as impossible just some time before, and I am proud about it
    nabil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nabil -

    One of our greatest constitutional rights is the right to assemble here in the United State. However, I believe that so many of us forget that we can assemble to help persuade our government. We only hope that we can get our legislators to listen and consider our story.

    I think about you and your country daily. Much of the news about Algeria seems to be overshadowed by what is now happening in Liberia. Stay safe, my friend, and I hope that you and your countrymen get the freedoms you so desire. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see all those people supporting our teachers!

    -Dean

    ReplyDelete